Move disk image between Host OSes - not bootable

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Bob1432

Move disk image between Host OSes - not bootable

Post by Bob1432 »

I am trying to set up a VM I already have working on another host but the disk image seems to be no longer bootable when I move it to the other host OS.

I have a Windows 10 VM set up on Linux (KDE neon based on Ubuntu 16.04) with VirtualBox 5.1.26 (and extpack) using a VDI disk image (which is sitting on an ext4 partition if it matters). I shut down the guest OS and then copied the VDI file to an HFS+ partition and resolved the permissions issues so it is read/write for all. I then created a new machine on macOS (10.12.5 Sierra) with VirtualBox 5.1.26 (and extpack) and added the disk as the only thing in the boot order. I set the hardwareUUID to match the UUID on the original VM.

When I try to start the VM on macOS, I get FATAL: INT18: BOOT FAILURE. Any idea what sort of things might be causing the disk image to not be bootable on a macOS host when the same image is bootable on a linux host?
Last edited by Bob1432 on 2. Aug 2017, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Move disk image between Host OSes - not bootable

Post by socratis »

For the appropriate way to move a VM, read the FAQ Moving a VM. You need to copy the whole folder, not just the Virtual Disk Image (VDI).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.