FIXED!! Win2K .vdi from WinXP to MacOS ->INACCESSIBLE_BOO

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
frank70

FIXED!! Win2K .vdi from WinXP to MacOS ->INACCESSIBLE_BOO

Post by frank70 »

I have a perfectly fine .vdi file I built (by installing Win2K) that boots and runs just fine under WinXP VirtualBox. But of course, that's not where I really want to run it. When I install Virtualbox on a Macbook, configure a virtual machine the same way (ok, the Sound and CD Drive setup are a little different) to boot from the same .vdi file (IDE, Primary, Master), it gets part way through the boot (i.e. has the graphical Win2K screen up and the little blue progress bar gets about half way) and then Win2K throws up a BSOD with the message INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

I am aware of suggestion (in the Windows Guest forum, and elsewhere on the web) to change VirtualBox's IDE controller type from PIIX4 to PIIX3 or vice-versa. However, in this case either setting still gives the BSOD.

On the WinXP system, I can force the same BSOD by changing the IDE controller type to PIIX3, but when I change it back to PIIX4, everything works fine again.

Anybody have a suggestion for how to get past this little glitch.
Thanks
Last edited by frank70 on 23. Aug 2008, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.
Brerlapn

IO APIC radio button?

Post by Brerlapn »

Is your IO APIC radio button enabled?

I was able to fix an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error using the PIIX3 switch that you mentioned, but I also have my IO APIC button enabled.
frank70

Post by frank70 »

Thanks Brerlapn, I'll give that a shot. Takes a while as I am doing this for my son (the Mac person) because his old Gateway Win2K laptop is literally hanging together by a thread... he'd asked me how to set up a dual-boot with Win2K on his Mac so he could run a couple "windows only" apps, and I suggested he try virtualbox under MacOS instead. I'll give him a call tonight to have him try checking that IO APIC box. On my WinXP machine, it doesn't seem to make any difference (box was not checked when I set it up.) While I've got him on the phone, we'll re-check every other VM setting too.
frank70

FYI - Problem fixed

Post by frank70 »

It turns out this Win2K boot crash was caused by the copied .vdi file accidentally being read-only. My son changed it to read-write and all is well. Figured this out when I was made aware (over in the Windows Guest forum) of the existence of the Vbox.log file - very handy indeed!