Installing Windows(any version from 8 onwards) on MacOS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
PleaseHelp

Installing Windows(any version from 8 onwards) on MacOS

Post by PleaseHelp »

Hi, I really need help installing a version of windows on my 2017 MacBook Pro. I have the most recent version of MacOS Sierra 10.12. ant help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't need it to be really powerful, its just that I have a program that can only run on windows and didn't realise this was the case when I purchased my MacBook
Last edited by PleaseHelp on 14. Jun 2017, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Installing Windows(any version from 8 onwards) on MacOS

Post by mpack »

It's simple. (1) Buy Windows license. (2) Install. Installing into a VM doesn't significantly change the procedure.
PleaseHelp

Post by PleaseHelp »

you have to buy a windows license? I assumed that you would just be able to download a program and run windows through that for free?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

PleaseHelp wrote:I assumed that you would just be able to download a program and run windows through that for free?
You assumed that Oracle can give away Microsoft software for free? ... That would be an incorrect assumption.

VirtualBox provides a free virtual machine: the hardware of the PC. The Operating System is real (not simulated), and is covered by real copyright laws and license fees. If you want a free OS you can install Linux, and perhaps Wine on Linux (or OS X for that matter) would work for you, but if you want genuine Windows then you have to pay genuine money for it: unless of course a friend wants to donate an old license to you.