VirtualBox 'NS_ERROR_FAILURE'

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
yavuz

VirtualBox 'NS_ERROR_FAILURE'

Post by yavuz »

Hello,

I started learning Windows Kernel Exploitation. So I set up a lab on Mac Osx with VirtualBox.
In this lab:

- Mac Osx (as a host system)
- 2 Virtual Machines: Windows 7 32 bit - one will be used as a Debugger(host) and another as a Debugee(target)

Debugger machine(host) is working well. But Debugee machine (target) is not working. When I start Debugee machine, I get an error. But when I disable Serial Port, debugee machine is working normal.
NamedPipe#0 failed to connect to local socket /tmp/wke_pipe/ (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

I couldn't find any solution. What's wrong with it?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox 'NS_ERROR_FAILURE'

Post by socratis »

yavuz wrote:when I disable Serial Port, debugee machine is working normal.
Apparently there's something wrong with your setup, and in particular the setup of your "serial port". You are trying to use named pipes, aren't you? Of course, since you don't have a physical one...

I don't know too much about that feature (never used it), but I've seen several posts in the forums. Like serial port: failed to create named pipe and I definitely remember another recent (in the last 6 months I believe) but I can't find it at the moment. The idea is that the "instigator" (don't call it "host", it has a different meaning in VirtualBox) and the "target" communicate via named pipes. One creates the pipe (most probably the instigator) and the other, the target, connects to it.

I haven't done it, just read through the manual. Your User Manual is in a perfectly searchable PDF format. Search for "pipe".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.