VMX's/VMDK's greyed out on MAC OS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Tibbert

VMX's/VMDK's greyed out on MAC OS

Post by Tibbert »

Hello,

For my LPIC 101 course I need to use some VM's for labs. I have a Macbook Pro running OSX El Capitan 10.11.6 and installed the latest version of VirtualBox .

When I try to open one of the VMX or VMDK files the courseleader provided me, they remain greyed out. Anyone who can help me out with this?

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VMX's/VMDK's greyed out on MAC OS

Post by socratis »

A VMDK file is the default format for a virtual hard disk under VMWare, but VirtualBox can attach and can work with them. But VMX is the "recipe" of the VM and is the format that VMWare uses, not VirtualBox.
• Are you sure that you were told to use VirtualBox?
• Are you sure you downloaded the appropriate format?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VMX's/VMDK's greyed out on MAC OS

Post by mpack »

As Socratis says, a VMX file is a VMWare control file, useless to anyone not using VMWare.

A VMDK is a VMWare disk. VirtualBox can use VMDK type disks, but it's a disk, not a VM, so you can't "open" it. You have to build a VM around it: just like in the real world if you only had the disk drive from an old PC, you'd have to obtain another PC to put it in before you could use the disk.