macOS 10.12.5 Panic On Boot OVDCUSB.kext called out

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
fuzzy601

macOS 10.12.5 Panic On Boot OVDCUSB.kext called out

Post by fuzzy601 »

Wanted to give a heads up to all who use virtual box, and may have used VBox 4.1.55 in past, macOS host. About the time of latest macOS security update (05/2017) my MacBook Pro (late 2011) panic'ed on boot or restart. In the traceback it called out OVDCUSB.kext. After some hunting I realized this was a kext which belonged to VirtualBox.

Turns out the kext was leftover from 4.1.55. The fix outlined was to boot into recovery mode, mount the volume and remove the kext, living in /System/Library/Extensions, then reboot. I did that and was back up and in operation.

Some how the old kext collided with the update.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Re: macOS 10.12.5 Panic On Boot OVDCUSB.kext called out

Post by ChipMcK »

information concerning OVDCUSB.kext can be located at http://www.osx86.net/files/file/4460-al ... -adapters/

Google is your friend

June 2, 2017 Updated: wrong URL reference
Last edited by ChipMcK on 2. Jun 2017, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@ChipMcK, Google is my pal too, but where did you find a reference to OVDCUSB.kext in the linked page? I'm drawing a blank, help a brother out here...

@fuzzy601: There's never been any VirtualBox extension named anything close to that. All of them start with VBox*. Plus the version is a little weird, 4.1.55 means a developer release, not a public release. So, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Unless you have a VirtualBox installer that contains this extension, I call the whole thing a mistaken identity.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

There was never any VirtualBox 4.1.55, as others mentioned. OVDCUSB.kext is not and never was part of VirtualBox. It is code derived from the VirtualBox code base and distributed with Oracle Virtual Desktop Client.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

OVDCUSB.kext is a close relative to the VirtualBox USB support kext (which is named VBoxUSB.kext), and a component of Oracle Virtual Desktop Client. Don't know much more than that. It's not expected that the two are stepping on each other's toes, but it's hard to deny that there is a problem with OVDCUSB.kext. If you need OVDC then contact Oracle Support, otherwise it's best to uninstall it...
fuzzy601

Post by fuzzy601 »

Thanks to michain and klaus for setting me straight. Actually I errored on the version it was 4.1.51. I've included as a text file the Contents/Info.plist which was part of the kext. Klaus comment about it being part of Oracle Virtual Desktop client brings up a recollection of trying that years ago with what was called SunRay Server software. I don't think the two collided VBox and client. What had happened is a security update for macOS came out about two weeks ago or so. I applied it, rebooted and my late 2011 MacBook Pro panic'ed everytime I tried to boot. The traceback in the panic called out OVDCUSB.kext first in the list.

Yes google is indeed your friend that's how I learned about macOS kexts and pkgs. I found another posting on Apple community forums of someone with the same identical problem. Just moving the kext out of /System/Library/Extensions and restarting is enough to fix the problem. (Booting into Recovery Mode, allows you to do that.) I thought I'd post here to put something out there to give folks a heads up.

I opened a ticket with the Apple folks because the panic happens just after login into a FileVault enabled volume on boot. I need to pass on the part about the kext being part of Oracle Virtual Desktop client. Thanks.
Attachments
OVDCUSB-Info-plist.txt
(4.73 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
chrissd

Post by chrissd »

Thank you very much! I thought I was in for a long evening of debug after this panic. Good googling let me right to this thread.