virtualbox crush when open preference

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
nicekwell

virtualbox crush when open preference

Post by nicekwell »

It crush when open preference. You can see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNGd95ftTJA

OS X version: 10.11.6
virtualbox version: 5.1.22.
The phenomenon has been around for a long time. And I have updated program many times. But problem still unsolved.

I want find the log. But I can only find the virtual system log. I can't find the program log.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: virtualbox crush when open preference

Post by socratis »

nicekwell wrote:The phenomenon has been around for a long time.
Since when? Maybe since when you installed Qt? I can see it in your Dock. You can imagine that if this was widespread, we would have noticed. But you're the first one that's reporting something like that, as far as I can remember.

Do you have any VirtualBox*.crash files in "~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/" ?
Any system-wide modifications you may have done to the system?
Does it happen if you switch to the Guest account in that computer?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nicekwell

Post by nicekwell »

Thank you! It worked in guest. But there is no VirtualBox*.crash file in "~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/".
And I remembered a information. The preference successfully opened first time. Then crushed every time.
And just now. I removed Qt & reboot computer. It successfully opened one time. Then crushed again.
Maybe there is something I have modified inadvertently.
Thank for help.
Last edited by socratis on 22. May 2017, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
nicekwell

Post by nicekwell »

I have found the reason. It's not because of Qt. It's karabiner. I use karabiner to change keyboard layout. Maybe Virtualbox and karabiner both want to get underlying key. And something wrong with it.
Last edited by socratis on 22. May 2017, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

nicekwell wrote:It's karabiner.
Of course! Karabiner has been messing with VirtualBox for a long time. If I remember correctly there were some Karabiner beta releases either in their forums or in their mailing lists that were fixing the problem. Check them out. And thanks for reporting back.

PS. That's what the "Any system-wide modifications you may have done to the system?" question was for. ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nicekwell

Post by nicekwell »

Yes! It is! Thank you! Now I can quit karabiner and open preference. :D
Last edited by socratis on 22. May 2017, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.