can't run ver. 5.1.20 and later on iMac mid 2010 / Mavericks OS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
morac

can't run ver. 5.1.20 and later on iMac mid 2010 / Mavericks OS

Post by morac »

When i run VirtualBox on iMac 27” mid 2010 via LaunchPad its icon bounces on dock for few second and then disappear; i try to run VBox via Terminal and i get the message: “segmentation fault: 11” then it exits.

I tried to find out where log general file was located but it seems there is no one, there is only one log file for each virtual machine; is that right?

I want to highligth the version 5.1.18 works while the version 5.1.20 has the same issue.

The installation of ver 5.1.22 ends with positive result.

My hardware is
iMac mid 2010
. Model Identifier: iMac 11.3
. Processor Name: Intel Core i3

the Operative System is
. OS X 10.9.5 (Maverick) (I still have to install last update)

I report this issue to know if there is an incompatibility between OS X Mavericks/iMac mid2010 and the ver. 5.1.20 (and later) for new features introduced otherwise i hope the issue can be resolved for next version.

Tell me if you have need more information.

Best regards.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: can't run ver. 5.1.20 and later on iMac mid 2010 / Mavericks OS

Post by socratis »

1. Download the latest release (5.1.22 as of this writing), or the latest test build (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds).
  2. Reboot.
  3. Mount the DMG from step 1. Run "VirtualBox_Uninistall.tool". Make sure there are no error messages. Reboot.
  4. Install VirtualBox.pkg. As soon as you start the installation, press Cmd+L to show the log. Select "Show All Logs" from the drop-down menu. Before the last step of the installation (Done), click the "Save" in the log window. ZIP and attach that file.
  5. Start VirtualBox. If it crashes, open Console.app and look at "~/Library/Logs". Is there a VirtualBox related log? ZIP and attach that file.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
morac

Post by morac »

In attach the Intaller log files (there are two, i made two installation) and the uninstall message too.

There is always the issue when i run VBox but there aren't log file in "~/Library/Logs".

I stay at disposal.

Best regards
Attachments
VBox_Inst_Log.tar.gz
(5.37 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

• Please don't use RTFs, it makes my life difficult and other users' impossible ;)
  • Uninstallation and installation both look fine.
  • The crash logs (if any) would be in "~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/VirtualBox*". My bad.
  • Can you post the output of:
    • ls -alR /Applications/VirtualBox
      ls -alR /private/var/tmp
      ls -alR /usr/local/bin/V*
      ls -alR /usr/local/bin/v*
And just to get this straight 100%, if you uninstall 5.1.2*, and you try 5.1.18, the latter works?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
morac

Post by morac »

i remember i looked at the Diagnostic directory too but there wasn't any file anyway i made the procedure again and i confirm there isn't any file.
I highlight I made the procedure as user admin.

If I uninstall 5.1.2* and then I install 5.1.18 it's all OK.

Attached what you asked for.

I stay at disposal.

Best Regards
Attachments
Report_ls_alR.tar.gz
(4.13 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

OK, so no crash report in the DiagnosticReports directory means that it crashes before it even has the opportunity to register properly. Not good.

Everything else looks in order. And given 1) the fact that 5.1.18 works fine, and 2) several things changed on the OSX front in versions ≥ 5.1.20, I would head to the bugtracker. I do not remember seeing a similar ticker, so open a new one. Keep the version at 5.1.20 because that's where the issue first appeared. Make sure to mention that you have an i3 and that this is a regression, i.e. it works fine with 5.1.18, but not with 5.1.20.