5.1.x Scaling and Resolution

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
smithimitron

5.1.x Scaling and Resolution

Post by smithimitron »

I have the latest VB 5.1 on my iMac. I am trying to run another Mac OS (long story), in my mac. The aspect ratio is stuck at 4:3, so I can only either have it so small that iTunes is mad at me, or so big that i have to use scrollbars. Is there a way to fix this by changing the aspect ratio to 16:9, my native resolution, or is there some way to do a 50% scale factor on the window?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 5.1.x Scaling and Resolution

Post by socratis »

The available resolutions are pretty much fixed and changeable only with VBoxManage in the Terminal. See ch. 3.13.1 Video modes in EFI. You didn't specify your iMac model, so I don't know its capabilities, but chances are that you might find a resolution that fits. The closest to a 16:9 ratio, are a couple of 16:10 resolutions (1440x900 and 1920x1200). Couple that with the scaling factor and you might get as close to a full screen as possible.

As for the scale factor, if you want it at 50%, you cannot do it from the GUI, you'll have to do it with VBoxManage in the Terminal:
  • VBoxManage setextradata <Your_VM> GUI/ScaleFactor 0.5
You can set any decimal number you like and changes happen on the fly (while the VM is running). Just don't change the scale factor from the GUI again.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.