Windows 10 guest on Mac Host Freezes both host and guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
valerie

Windows 10 guest on Mac Host Freezes both host and guest

Post by valerie »

I'm running the latest Win 10 32bit guest (not sure which version number but it auto updates so should be whatever is current) on an OS X 10.12.4 host running on a MacBook pro mid 2010 with 16Gb of ram (8 Gb allocated to the VM.) Virtual box is fully updated as well, to Version 5.1.22 r115126 (Qt5.6.2). Sometimes, when I boot up, the VM windows finishes booting and then just freezes, taking down the host Mac with it. I get the Spinning beach ball of doom and the force quit dialog shows both the Virtual Box app and the VM as unresponsive. Force quitting them does nothing, and soon the finder becomes unresponsive as well. At that point, the only thing I can do is do a hard shut down of the Mac, by holding down the power key for several seconds. I have attached a zipped log file. Hope it helps. Thanks!
Attachments
Windows 10 32bit (New)-2017-05-08-20-02-33.log.zip
(16.44 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 10 guest on Mac Host Freezes both host and guest

Post by mpack »

You seem to have given 8GB RAM to a 32bit Windows guest. Windows 32 bit guests can't use more than 4GB.

It also only has one core, so if it's busy it's going to block. New Win10 installations do a lot of online checking, so I'd need to see more evidence that you have a real problem.

Back when I was testing Win10 on a dual core, I found it useful to disable Cortana and other unwanted background processes.