Load Windows

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
LJB6801

Load Windows

Post by LJB6801 »

Hi,

I have loaded VM and extension pack, can load windows from CD drive (usb external drive) VM opens and the get the black screen - Fatal no bootable medium found ?
Add the USB Drive - Toshiba external Supermulti (0617)
Storage - Have IDE controller (host drive Toshiba) with IDE primary master and passthrough checked.
OSX El Captain
Windows Office Home

Many Thanks,
L.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Load Windows

Post by socratis »

LJB6801 wrote:can load windows from CD drive (usb external drive)
As far as I know, you can't in a VM, because it's a USB external drive, not an internal one. What you need to do is to create an ISO image from the Windows installation CD/DVD from Disk Utility. Then in your VM Storage settings, instead of using the pass-through option, you point it to the ISO you created.

BTW, are you sure that in the storage you can select the USB CD drive with pass-through? If yes, can you please verify with a screenshot of the settings showing that?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.