VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk error: Cannot read the partition info...

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Zillion01

Re: VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk error: Cannot read the partition info...

Post by Zillion01 »

VBoxManage: error: Cannot read the partition information from '/dev/disk0'
VBoxManage: error: The raw disk vmdk file was not created
I confirm this problem on a Macbook Pro late 2016 with Sierra. Would be very nice if this gets solved.

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk error: Cannot read the partition info...

Post by socratis »

Zillion01 wrote:Would be very nice if this gets solved.
You know what would be even nicer? If you read the thread from the beginning and gave us some more details about your setup. We're trying to make a compilation of the circumstances that might cause this error, as you might notice. A simple "me too" doesn't really help...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
quantor

Post by quantor »

I installed File Vault before Bootcamp on OS 10.12.4 and it worked with VBox 5.1.12 and VBox 5.1.20. This was on the "old" MacBook, but the macOS and the Bootcamp version (6.1.0) are the same on both computers, old and new. Comparing setup (2) and (4), the difference is the Guest OS and the MacBook model.
- I'm not sure whether the guest OS is an important factor, unless Bootcamp creates the partitions differently for different Windows versions...
- The MacBook model: No clue what could be the difference, HDD and SSD probably, but why should they be handled differently on the software level?

This is the updated matrix so far...
quantor: (1) Host=10.12.4, Upgrade=YES(*), Guest=Win10,   VBox=5.1.18, Filevault=Yes, FileVaultBeforeBootcamp=YES, Works = NO
         (2) Host=10.12.4, Upgrade=YES(*), Guest=Win10,   VBox=5.1.12, Filevault=Yes, FileVaultBeforeBootcamp=YES, Works = NO
         (3) Host=10.12.2, Upgrade=YES(%), Guest=Win8($), VBox=5.1.12, Filevault=Yes, FileVaultBeforeBootcamp=NO,  Works = YES
         (4) Host=10.12.4, Upgrade=YES(*), Guest=Win8,    VBox=5.1.12, Filevault=Yes, FileVaultBeforeBootcamp=YES, Works = YES
         (5) Host=10.12.4, Upgrade=YES(*), Guest=Win8,    VBox=5.1.20, Filevault=Yes, FileVaultBeforeBootcamp=YES, Works = YES
I'm also going to try it with Win10, but this could take some time until I have results...

@Zillion01: Did you install Bootcamp before you tried to read the partition information? Do you have FileVault installed or not? Would be nice if you could contribute to the matrix...
quantor

Post by quantor »

Here is an update:
quantor: (1) Host=10.12.4, Upgrade=YES(*), Guest=Win10,    VBox=5.1.18, Filevault=Yes, FileVaultBeforeBootcamp=YES, Works = NO
       (1.5) Host=10.12.4, Upgrade=YES(*), Guest=Win10,    VBox=5.1.20, Filevault=Yes, FileVaultBeforeBootcamp=YES, Works = NO
         (2) Host=10.12.4, Upgrade=YES(*), Guest=Win10,    VBox=5.1.12, Filevault=Yes, FileVaultBeforeBootcamp=YES, Works = NO
         (3) Host=10.12.2, Upgrade=YES(%), Guest=Win8($),  VBox=5.1.12, Filevault=Yes, FileVaultBeforeBootcamp=NO,  Works = YES
         (4) Host=10.12.4, Upgrade=YES(*), Guest=Win8,     VBox=5.1.12, Filevault=Yes, FileVaultBeforeBootcamp=YES, Works = YES
         (5) Host=10.12.4, Upgrade=YES(*), Guest=Win8,     VBox=5.1.20, Filevault=Yes, FileVaultBeforeBootcamp=YES, Works = YES
         (6) Host=10.12.4, Upgrade=YES(*), Guest=Win10(!), VBox=5.1.20, Filevault=Yes, FileVaultBeforeBootcamp=YES, Works = YES
(!) Upgrade from Win8

Configuration (1.5) and (6) is essentially the same, only the hardware is different...
to (6): Windows 10 runs now also on the old MacBook, but VBox does not run anymore?? It crashes after each start (version 5.1.20 and 5.1.12). On the other hand, the VBoxManage command works.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@quantor
Thank you for the amount of effort you're putting into this!

The connection that *I* see is not the hardware, and as I said before this seems like a red-herring. The connection that I see is that all the failed attempts have a fresh Win10 Bootcamp installation. So, if you were to summarize, there would only be one question:
  • Did you install a fresh Win10 in your Bootcamp?
The VBoxManage command would fail if you answered "Yes" to the question above. I went back and re-read the thread and that seems to support my assumption.

quantor wrote:but VBox does not run anymore?? It crashes after each start
Take a look at: Virtualbox 5.1.20 application crashes on OSX ≥ 10.12.4.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Another thing that I remembered was a third party application: VBoxRawdisk, an OSX native app. I'm not sure if it's going to work with a Bootcamp partition, but give it a shot. The author was actually looking for feedback for it.
quantor

Post by quantor »

Did you install a fresh Win10 in your Bootcamp?
Yes, I installed a fresh Win10 in my Bootcamp on the new Mac. Bootcamp on a new Mac only allows to install Win10. On the old Mac, Bootcamp can only install Win7 or Win8 (which can be updated later to Win10).
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That was more of a rhetorical question. Let me rephrase it?
Then the "VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk" might fail.
That would be a more appropriate and narrower description of the problem, no?
quantor

Post by quantor »

Then the "VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk" might fail.
Yes, that sounds like a reasonable description. But that would also mean this problem is specific to the new MBP's, as they only allow to install a fresh Win10...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I repeat for the n-th time. It's not the hardware!!!

Ship me your hard drive (my expenses) and I bet you it will not work in my old MBP from 2011.
I'll ship you my new hard drive (your expense) and I bet you that it will work on your new MBP.

It's the software requirements, mainly imposed by Apple, mainly because of the hardware drivers. There are ways to make sure that I can install older Windows clients on newer MBPs, just not official because Apple doesn't want the headache of having unsupported hardware components and users screaming at them "my Bluetooth adapter doesn't work".
quantor

Post by quantor »

ok... what now? Does that mean it will simply not work on my MBP? Or try to somehow use an unofficial way to install an older Windows?
Zillion01

Post by Zillion01 »

quantor wrote: @Zillion01: Did you install Bootcamp before you tried to read the partition information? Do you have FileVault installed or not? Would be nice if you could contribute to the matrix...
Yes I did, yes I have. After trying out all stuf I found on Google I can only conclude it has to do with the newer models of Macbook Pro.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

quantor wrote:Does that mean it will simply not work on my MBP?
It (meaning VirtualBox) might be having some trouble recognizing the (potentially) new partition scheme employed by a Win10/Bootcamp combination. Once confirmed, you could open a new ticket and hope for the best.

@Zillion01
  • Did you install a fresh Win10 in your Bootcamp?
Zillion01 wrote:I can only conclude it has to do with the newer models of Macbook Pro.
I'm not sure how whoosh is translated, but it does NOT have to do anything with the hardware. It's all in the software.
samsonthebrave

Post by samsonthebrave »

Wondering if we've come to a resolution for this issue? I currently am running bootcamp with win10 on a 15" MPB '16 and would really like to be able to use VB but am stalled on

Code: Select all

sudo VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -rawdisk /dev/disk0 -filename win10raw.vmdk -partitions 1,4
because I get the aforementioned error
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

samsonthebrave wrote:Wondering if we've come to a resolution for this issue?
Apple themselves had not come up with a resolution for this, they're struggling with Win10 just like everyone else. Do you expect 3rd party software that relies on Apple to be there before Apple? On the newly (two days ago) released 10.12.5, it states:
Adds support for media-free installation of Windows 10 Creators Update using Boot Camp
Plus, did you read the thread from the beginning? If so, can you answer the important key question in this thread? In the post just above yours.