problem with control-click mapping in ubuntu guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: problem with control-click mapping in ubuntu guest

Post by socratis »

So, let me repeat that: if you log in as Guest, ctrl-click works as expected.
If you login with your usual, normal account, ctrl-click does NOT work as expected. But it works with 5.0.36. Is that correct?

If so, I think that it's more than obvious that there's something interfering with VirtualBox in your account. What could it be? I have no clue.

Let's start with the easy ones...
  • There seems to be no 3rd party kernel extensions installed, so that's out.
  • The Firewall and Filevault are out. Not only are they Apple provided, but I don't see how they would interact with the mouse.
  • I would think that Symantec's Endpoint would be enabled for every user, but it's really weird that it doesn't have a kernel extension installed that would enable that on the system level. Really, really weird... On the other hand, from a quick reading on their website, I saw that they have a feature called "Blocked Devices". How that works, I have no clue, but it seems that "devices" is pretty generic. At some point they warn "Do not block your keyboard" and "the USB wireless adapters". I don't like the sound of this.
  • And finally the tablet; the obvious candidate. Check its preferences and see if you can dig anything.
For comparison and so that you'll know, you're the only one in recent memory, so my guess is that help will be difficult to find in these forums. Start expanding your horizons and search for wider behaviors of that sort.

Finally a general question: you have Firewall, FileVault and Symantec Endpoint installed. Are you logging as the computer owner, aka administrator?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kestryth

Post by kestryth »

socratis wrote:So, let me repeat that: if you log in as Guest, ctrl-click works as expected.
If you login with your usual, normal account, ctrl-click does NOT work as expected. But it works with 5.0.36. Is that correct?
yes. that is exactly correct.
socratis wrote:• And finally the tablet; the obvious candidate. Check its preferences and see if you can dig anything.
So I checked the tablet settings in the Guest account, and they are the same as in my account. So I would think that if the tablet was interfering, it should interfere with both, right? the only setting I changed on the tablet was to assign one of the buttons to control---which I did after the double-mapping happened with the tablet. The only way I can get non-sequential click is to use the tablet's button. But I did that after the keyboard mapping issue happened as a work-around.
socratis wrote:Are you logging as the computer owner, aka administrator?
Yes, I am the owner/administrator.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So, as I said, something is rotten in Denmark. Where "Denmark" is your user account's preferences and "rotten" is interference. As I said, I can't diagnose this from here. You'll have to start enabling/disabling, installing/uninstalling things until you find the culprit.
kestryth wrote:Yes, I am the owner/administrator.
It's funny that you take all those protective measures, yet you seem to be bypassing the simplest rule of all; being a simple, non-administrator user. The "problem" is that you're not alone, I mostly blame the OS manufacturers for not teaching their users proper security measures. But this is not the place for this conversation... It's just a generic, friendly advice...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kestryth

Post by kestryth »

Thank you for your help and your advice. I never said I logged in all the time as the Administrator, I just said I was the Administrator. :)

I guess this is the end of the thread for now. My colleague stopped by and said I should mention that this particular machine has been plagued with hardware issues, and has been sent back to Apple twice for board replacements; and so maybe it is just a problem child.

If, sometime in the future, you come up with any difference between the old version of VB and the new version that might help diagnose my problem user setting, I'd appreciate it. I'll probably just roll-back to 5.0.36 permanently for now so I can stay functional at work.

Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Hardware problems wouldn't hide themselves under a different account.

If you do find a solution to this, it would definitely be of interest to let us know. Mainly because it seems that there is a difference between 5.0.36 and 5.1.18. Actually, I don't think I've ever asked you; did you try any other 5.1.x version? Could you? Start with 5.1.0 or 5.1.2 and see if the issue still is there.
kestryth

Post by kestryth »

Sure.

The double-mapping starts with 5.1.0
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

OK, thanks, that's good to know. One final thought, although I highly doubt that this is the problem. Download an application like EasyFind or DoubleCommander. Search for anything "Qt*" in your home directory. You're going to find several most probably. Post the list. If the list is too long, put it in a text file, zip it and attach it.
kestryth

Post by kestryth »

I've got 23 files--but I can't figure out how to copy/paste the list. Selecting them following by a secondary click gives me a menu that lets me open them all or sort them; no copy/paste functions.

Based on their locations,
2 are associated with iCalendar; 2 are for Aptana studio; 1 is for WebEx; and the rest are for iPhotolibrary.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Most, if not all of them sound like they're related to QuickTime, not the Qt framework that I had in mind.
There goes that theory. It was a long shot in any event... :?
kestryth

Post by kestryth »

Fair enough.

Thanks again--- I appreciate your time.

-k