Windows 10 VM won't connect USB devices- macOS Sierra

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
jsherk
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: mac osx

Windows 10 VM won't connect USB devices- macOS Sierra

Post by jsherk »

I am running Virtual Box 5.1.18 (and have installed the extension pack as well) on macOS Sierra 10.12.3

I have Windows 10 VM running fine, except it will not recognize any USB sticks or USB drives that I connect.

MacOS will of course recognize the device and mount it, but then I hit EJECT and leave the device plugged in, but it does not show up in Windows 10 VM.

I have tried having the VM already running when I eject and also tried starting Virtual Box from scratch after I eject, but the devices are never visible, not even in the Windows Disk Management Utility.

Thanks
Last edited by jsherk on 28. Mar 2017, 19:51, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 VM won't connect USB devices

Post by socratis »

jsherk wrote:it does not show up in Windows 10 VM
Good thinking on Ejecting them first. However, it will not show automatically in your VM (what should/would happen if you had two VMs running?).

You either have to select the USB device from the Devices menu (that's a run-time capture only) or you can have a more permanent capture by creating a USB filter, see section 3.10.1 USB settings of the User Manual.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jsherk
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: mac osx

Re: Windows 10 VM won't connect USB devices

Post by jsherk »

Okay thanks for pointing that out!

I will give steps of what I did to resolve this issue...

(1) EJECT the device that you want to connect from your Mac and REMOVE the device completely so it is not plugged into your computer.

(2) Download and install the virtual box extension pack if you have not already done so.

(3) Startup Virtual Box Manager but make sure all VM's are shut down and not running.

(4) Click on SETTINGS then PORTS then USB.

(5) Check/Enable ENABLE USB CONTROLLER and select either USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 (if you are not sure, start with USB 2.0 and see if it works).

(6) Click on the little plus sign (ADD NEW USB FILTER) over on the right side under USB Device Filters.

(7) Make a note of all the devices listed. Since the device you want to connect is NOT plugged into the computer, it will NOT show up in the list. Do NOT choose any devices in this list, but click anywhere else on the screen to close this list (but stay on the SETTINGS > PORTS > USB page).

(8) Plug in the device you want to connect to the VM and let the Mac recognize and mount it. Do NOT eject yet.

(9) Click on the little plus sign again (ADD NEW USB FILTER) over on the right side under USB Device Filters.

(10) There should now be a new device in the list that was not there in step 7 above ... select this device so it gets added to the filter list, and then click OK.

(11) EJECT the device from your Mac and REMOVE the device completely from the computer.

(12) Startup and run the WM you want to connect the device too.

(13) Plugin the device and it should attach and connect to the VM now instead of your Mac. :)

(14) To re-connect this device to your Mac you will need to remove the device, shutdown the VM then plug it back again.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Windows 10 VM won't connect USB devices- macOS Sierra

Post by socratis »

Nicely done!
And I thought that my list was long... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Asflyboy

Post by Asflyboy »

Very well written jsherk ! Finally a solution that actually works.
ciamurra
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windowsXP

Post by ciamurra »

I am running Windows 7 on a Macbook Air, OS 10.12.4, Virtual Box 5.1.22, guest additions installed.

I have the same problem as jherk, with difference that I am running Win 7. I followed his/her instructions to a T-- it was easy; they were extremely clear-- but, I'm still getting error: fails to attach the flash drive to VM Win 7. It's not showing up in the Mac either. It won't install from the Devices menu.

I didn't have this problem before upgrading to VB 5.1.22.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

ciamurra wrote:I'm still getting error: fails to attach the flash drive to VM Win 7.
Where do you get this error? At which step? Also, take a look at the following: USB basics and troubleshooting.
ciamurra wrote:I didn't have this problem before upgrading to VB 5.1.22.
That shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to try it out; downgrade to 5.1.20 and see if the issue persists.

I tested in on my setup (10.9.5, Win7 as a guest, FAT32 stick) and it worked as usual.
ciamurra
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windowsXP

Post by ciamurra »

Thanks for getting back to me. I am trying to save a backup file on the flash drive. I also have a backup in a folder shared by host and guest.

This is the chronology: the moment Win 7 starts to load it flashes a message
"failed to attach the USB device XYZ to the virtual machine Win 7".
Details:
Failed to create a proxy device for the USB device (Error: VERR_PDM_NO_USB_PORTS).
Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872sa645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

I still have the VB 5.1.20 dmg. Do I just click on it as though it were an upgrade?

Thanks again.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Please read the following: USB basics and troubleshooting, #6: Guest support. Your Win7 does not have native USB3 support.