VB CRASHES EVEN AFTER GOING BACK TO 5.14!

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
arthur_J

VB CRASHES EVEN AFTER GOING BACK TO 5.14!

Post by arthur_J »

Windows7 64 bit guest.
After going to 5.16 (crashes) and then upgrading a week later to 5.18 (thinking - Aha! they've fixed the bug), I got even more crashes.
I RE-INSTALLED 5.14 (with its Guest Additions).
It continued to crash!
I disabled Bi-directional Shared Clipboard and Drag-and-Drop. Crashed more often!
I removed 2 of my 4 Shared Drives. Still it crashes!
I had uploaded a zipped Log into a new bug only to have them close it as a 'duplicate' (which it was, I guess). But they don't seem to have fixed it either.

But how is it possible that 5.14 INHERITED the bug in 5.16 and 5.18? What piece of new, buggy code is still hanging around after going back to 5.14?
At the end of my wits (and rope) now.
Thanks for listening.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VB CRASHES EVEN AFTER GOING BACK TO 5.14!

Post by mpack »

Are we supposed to use our crystal ball to comment? If you don't tell us what the error messages are, or provide a log, or tell us what the bugtracker ticket number was, then we can say nothing about your problem.
arthur_J

Post by arthur_J »

Ah, sarcasm. I still love it (not). Please forgive me my iggerance, though. I guess I naturally assumed that since so many have been complaining about these crashes, I didn't need to get to detailed.

But you're right, of course.

The latest VBox.log is attached. Very near the top, there are 3 lines that talk about a problem re Guest Additions 5.1.18 and 5.1.12 (which is what I have installed now). It seems to me that something from .18 didn't go away when I re-installed .14, which would then be the reason that the always stable .14 has begun to crash repeatedly.

Thanks for any insights you may have.
Attachments
Windows7-64bit-2017-03-25-11-07-44.log.zip
(120.83 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

VBox.log wrote: 00:11:54.761906 !! VCPU0: Guru Meditation -5300 (VERR_IEM_INSTR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED)
Please see the previous discussion: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=82272.
arthur_J

Post by arthur_J »

Thanks, mpack.

The answer I gleaned from that thread seems to be for me to downgrade to 5.1.14 (which was stable for me since the day I installed it in January). But, as I said earlier, I've already done that.

Maybe the best question would be: Is there some procedure that I should be using to downgrade other than simply re-installing the old version on top of the newer one?

Because obviously (from the log), there's an artifact of 5.1.18 hanging around from when I upgraded to it. I need to start with a clean install of 5.1.14 without having to blow everything away including Win7 (since I can't comprehend how I'd re-install Win7 when I have no CD drive in my Late 2014 Mac Mini).

Thoughts very much appreciated.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Read that thread again. You need to downgrade to 5.0.x as long as there is no fix for the 5.1.x branch.
arthur_J

Post by arthur_J »

'Read that thread again' sounds a bit like your second attempt to sound like a schoolmaster talking to a stupid child. Some people can't resist that temptation, I find. I've been making my living as (dare I use such an old-fashioned term) a programmer for --- it'll be 48 years in June. Jeez! Where'd the time go.

Anyway, in my world a modification-gone-wrong doesn't pollute the timeline. It can't/doesn't have any effect in a prior release of the software. Which is why, even though I read "5.0.xx", I assumed it was just the last stable release the guy had used.

I would like to thank you, though. Without your help, I'd still be muttering curses at Oracle every time the damn thing crashed.
Arthur
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

We are fellow users donating our free time here, we are not support people paid to be polite to you. It's hard to remain patient when someone doesn't give any useful information, doesn't search for previous discussions, and doesn't follow simple instructions given by an expert user. That's life.
linked post by Socratis wrote: Downgrade to 5.0.x and it most probably will go away. It's a known issue with 5.1.x on OSX hosts.
I find it hard to understand how this simple statement could be interpreted as meaning that 5.1.14 should work. So excuse us if we get irritated when someone is directed to clear and correct advice and they still choose to "interpret" it in puzzling ways.

p.s. Martin's "second attempt" (as you put it) was his first post in this thread.
arthur_J

Post by arthur_J »

Hard to understand why I'd interpret 'go back to 5.0' as 'go back to a prior stable release'? I thought I explained that when I said 'in my old-fashioned programming world you'd never actually have to do that'.
But you prove my point, sir. You are evidently an arrogant asshole. Part of the responsible for giving us nerds a bad rep.
AMF!
Arthur
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Yes, maybe I'm an arrogant asshole, what of it? I'm not the one asking for advice (with no data), ignoring the advice, then abusing those who help him without even noticing that they are different people. I hope you're proud of yourself. I hope you're also proud of your diagnostic skills, because it's probably what you'll have to rely on in the future.

Topic locked.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Moving to "OSX Hosts" from "Windows Guests", since the problem is with the new instruction interpreter with 5.1.x on Mac OS X.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.