Windows 7 critical error on Mac OS X

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
maximusimo

Windows 7 critical error on Mac OS X

Post by maximusimo »

Hi there,

Apple Mac Pro running OS X 10.10.5.
Windows 7 guest
I recently updated to Version 5.1.18 r114002 (Qt5.6.2) and also updated Guest Additions.

Since updating I have frequently experienced crashes of the VM with the explanation in the attached screenshot.

I had tried uploading the log but it is too big

I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, in actual fact I wasn't working in the machine at that time.

Please advise.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 10.57.34.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 10.57.34.png (80.4 KiB) Viewed 4136 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 7 critical error on Mac OS X

Post by mpack »

Zip the log and upload it as an attachment.
maximusimo

Post by maximusimo »

The machine eventually came back up again but as soon as it happens again, which it invariably will, I will zip it and try and upload.
maximusimo

Post by maximusimo »

It just happened again, two zipped logs attached - one before I hit ok on the error and one after.
Attachments
VBox.log 2.zip
Second log
(94.38 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Last edited by mpack on 28. Mar 2017, 10:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted unwanted additional log.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

VBox.log wrote: 00:02:29.677426 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
00:02:29.677430 !!
00:02:29.677430 !! VCPU0: Guru Meditation -5300 (VERR_IEM_INSTR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED)
00:02:29.677461 !!
Right. Known problem with older CPUs running modern(ish) Windows on OS X hosts. You need to downgrade VirtualBox to 5.0.x. Remember that Guest Additions are not backwards compatible.

BugTracker ticket: 15801.

Discussion: VERR_IEM_INSTR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED on OS X hosts.
maximusimo

Post by maximusimo »

Hi mpack, thanks for your reply.
What is the normal process for downgrading, do I have to delete the install and reinstall older version and will my Virtual Machine still open ok on the 'new' version?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

If you really want to play it by the book, here's the procedure:
  1. Mount the DMG for the currently installed VirtualBox version.
  2. Execute "/Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool".
  3. Eject the DMG.
  4. Mount the DMG for the wanted/required VirtualBox version and dbl-click on "VirtualBox.pkg".
Now, steps 1-3 are there for one reason only, usually you do not need them. What's the reason? The "VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool" is a script that unregisters and deletes all VirtualBox related files. Usually it doesn't change. But, if there is a newer file to be uninstalled or if there's a need to cover a newer OSX version, then it might change. That's why steps 1-3 are there, just to be safe.

Example: between versions 5.0.x and 5.1.x a new tool was added to the VirtualBox distribution: VBoxBugReport. So, "VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool" was updated to include the following for the list of files to be removed/deleted:

Code: Select all

test -f /usr/bin/VBoxBugReport                     && my_files+=("/usr/bin/VBoxBugReport")
test -f /usr/local/bin/VBoxBugReport               && my_files+=("/usr/local/bin/VBoxBugReport")

In your case step 4 should be more than sufficient. Just a straight installation over the current one would be more than enough. And no, your VMs will not be harmed.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
maximusimo

Post by maximusimo »

Oh very good.

You also mentioned that Guest Additions are not backwards compatible. What do i need to do, just reinstall after installing VirtualBox?
I will install VirtualBox 5.0.36 (released March 15th 2017) as it seems to be the last release of 5.0
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The answer would be a "Yes" to both questions.

I noticed a mistake on my previous post: you do need to run steps 1-4, because you're doing a major version downgrade. And don't forget the matching ExtPack...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
maximusimo

Post by maximusimo »

Thanks very much guys. Uninstalled 5.1 and now on 5.0.36 with no problems, hopefully stays that way.

Thanks again.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

maximusimo wrote:now on 5.0.36 with no problems, hopefully stays that way
The correct statement would be "hopefully it gets fixed soon" ;)
maximusimo

Post by maximusimo »

:D
Yep that would be more beneficial