Kernel Debugging between two Win10 VMs on a Mac Host.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Waffles2g

Kernel Debugging between two Win10 VMs on a Mac Host.

Post by Waffles2g »

I'm having some problems getting kernel debugging up and running between two Windows VM on a Mac host.

Host: OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)
VM1: Win 10 (debugger)
VM2: Win 10 (target)

I want to debug VM2 from VM1, I think my only option is to use a virtual serial port?

- For the VBox settings on VM1, I enabled COM1, Host pipe, unchecked connect to existing pipe, and named it /tmp/com_1
- For VBox settings on Win7 VM, I enabled COM1, Host pipe, checked connect to existing pipe, and used name /tmp/com_1
- Boot VM1 then boot VM2 successfully.
- Load up Windbg in VM1, select kernel debug, COM tab, baudrate=115200, port=/tmp/com_1, checked (and unchecked) pipe, tried to connect, and it cannot find path specified.

Also I have successfully opened the port in PowerShell on both machines then $port.writeline("test") on VM1 and $port.readline() on VM2 to prove that they can communicate over the pipe.

So I don't know what I am doing wrong as they can communicate over the pipe? Do I need to change my WinDBG settings?
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: Kernel Debugging between two Win10 VMs on a Mac Host.

Post by michaln »

The thing you're doing wrong is that you're not using a Windows host. Then you could run WinDbg on the host directly and attach to the VM. It works way better than two VMs. That said, what you are doing should work, with performance that may or may not be acceptable.

It is possible to use network transport as well. See also the "Paravirtualized debugging" chapter in the VirtualBox manual. Highly recommended for newer Windows versions.
Waffles2g

Post by Waffles2g »

Thanks for your speedyreply!!! Unfortunately running on a Windows host is not an option.

However, I have got it working, was just miss typing the serial port. Just restart the target machine once you have started your kernel debug and you are ready to go.

Starting up VM2 with the debugger attached seems to take forever though... we shall see if it works.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Waffles2g wrote:Starting up VM2 with the debugger attached seems to take forever though... we shall see if it works.
It does take a lot longer because there's a lot of information being exchanged between the debugger and the target. It might take extra long the first time, before the symbols are cached locally. Once the OS boots up the impact normally isn't significant.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Waffles2g wrote:I have got it working, was just miss typing the serial port
It would really help future users if you pointed out the miss-typing...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
yigits

Post by yigits »

Waffles2g wrote:I have got it working, was just miss typing the serial port.
Hi @Waffles2g, can you please note the mistype for your configuration? I'm having the exact same problem.