32bit or 64 bit

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
dowlass

32bit or 64 bit

Post by dowlass »

Hi, new to all this VM stuff so pardon me if my descriptions are anyway incorrect.

Question: if my Host OS is OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) running on a 64 bit Intel iMac, and I want to install Windows 10 as the Guest OS..... do I need the 32 bit or 64 bit Windows version?

(My Mac is actually partitioned with SnowLeopard on one partition and Yosemite on the other - I use SnowLeopard 95% of the time)

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 32bit or 64 bit

Post by socratis »

Whatever you feel like using. VirtualBox can run on 32- and 64-bit hosts and the guests can be 16-, 32- and 64-bit ones. It really doesn't matter.

One thing that might influence your decision, is that if you go with a 32-bit guest, you can only appropriate and allocate about 3 GB of RAM to the guest. Anything more than that is not understood by the guest.

And finally, 10.6.x can only go up to the VirtualBox 4.3.x series. I'm not really sure how well they handle the latest Windows 10 updates. Even the test builds for 5.1.x may have issues with the constant updates of Windows 10 from MS.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dowlass

Post by dowlass »

Thanks, scoratis!

I suppose what I was getting at is whether you can 'mix-and-match'..... i.e. have a 64 bit guest running on a 32 bit host. Or whether if your host is 64 bit it means you MUST use a 64 bit guest?

Good point about 10.6 having VBox limitations - definitely something to bear in mind. Maybe I'd be better trialing it on the Yosemite partition.

cheers
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

dowlass wrote:Or whether if your host is 64 bit it means you MUST use a 64 bit guest?
socratis wrote:the guests can be 16-, 32- and 64-bit ones.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

dowlass wrote:Or whether if your host is 64 bit it means you MUST use a 64 bit guest?
Even on a physical machine you don't need to install a 64bit OS just because the CPU is capable of it. A VM is no different.
dowlass

Post by dowlass »

mpack wrote:Even on a physical machine you don't need to install a 64bit OS just because the CPU is capable of it. A VM is no different.
You're showing up my ignorance... :wink: