Disk Drive?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
madsiepie

Disk Drive?

Post by madsiepie »

Hi, I have a MacBook Pro but I got VirtualBox so I could play a Windows game. The only problem is when I insert the disk into my Mac, I can't figure out how to find the disk and install it. Can I not use the Mac's disk drive while on VirtualBox? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Disk Drive?

Post by socratis »

• What's your Mac model? Does it have a built-in CD drive or an external USB one?
  • Open the VM settings » Storage » select the CD icon on the left. Now you have two options:
    1. If your DVD drive is a built-in one, you can click on the right CD icon and select "Host Drive ..." and you could enable "Passthrough".
    2. If you don't have a built-in DVD, you can click on the right CD icon and select a CD image that you can create in the next step. I strongly suggest that route, even if you have a built-in DVD.
  • If you want to go with the CD image route (strongly suggested), open Disk Utility, select the CD on the left side and then File » New » Disk Image from <CD>. In the "Image Format:" option select "DVD/CD master" and choose a location to save the image. Then you can use that virtual CD image either on your host, or as a virtual CD in your guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.