Multiple monitors full screen mode (ticket #16829)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Multiple monitors full screen mode

Post by socratis »

I modified my VM to match your settings. Exactly. From # CPUs, to RAM, to PAE, to (name it). I uninstalled my ExtPack. I even added a floppy! Our logs look like twins now (which makes comparison a breeze). Except a couple of things noted below:
  • I have OSX 10.9.5 on a MBP8,3 with an ATI 6750m.
    You have OSX 10.12.4 on a MBP11,5 with an ATI R9 M370X.
  • One key, essential difference is that you boot your VM directly at full-screen, whereas I don't. You have the following in your log, at the very 1st second of the VM's creation. I noticed however, that only one message like that exists, for window #0, but nothing for window #1:
    00:00:01.009049 GUI: UIMachineLogicFullscreen::sltHandleNativeFullscreenWillEnter: \
                    Machine-window #0 will enter native fullscreen
  • After that, and due to the initial FullScreen state, here's where all the fun begins. In my case I receive a couple of "UIMachineViewNormal" events and you receive "UIMachineWindowFullscreen". The thing that I don't really feel good about is that you also log a couple of "UIMultiScreenLayout::update: GUI/AutomountGuestScreens is disabled" from the get go, while I, only when I actually switch to FullScreen. Maybe it's a red herring, I don't know.
Here's the sequence of events (with pictures) that I used. BTW, monitor1=1920x1280, monitor2=1280x1024. I think you can tell the arrangement of my monitors in OSX, they're almost center-aligned (I had to align them in Gimp). Remember that the white areas on the right part, are not part of either monitor:
  • Launch the Mint VM with two displays, after I've already installed the matching GAs. It defaulted with both of them in one monitor, the primary one. Initial size is 800x600 for both of the displays, but this has been happening for a few VirtualBox versions now (randomly really). I even believe it was in the release notes:
    DualMonitorsDisplays-1.png
    DualMonitorsDisplays-1.png (142.78 KiB) Viewed 4865 times
  • Only when I login, does display #1 goes to 1280x1024 (my favorite, previously setup size), and display #2 goes at 1024x768. I didn't even bother to configure display #2, it just "felt" that 1024x768 was the appropriate size. I then moved display #2 to the top-right corner of monitor #2. Note that I opened up a Terminal, which I chose to be half to the left and half to the right of the Mint displays (if you're wondering, the command in the Terminal is 'uname -a') :
    DualMonitorsDisplays-2.png
    DualMonitorsDisplays-2.png (78.92 KiB) Viewed 4865 times
  • I hit HostKey-F. Both displays maximized to their respective monitor sizes; 1920x1280 for display #1, 1280x1024 for display #2. NOTE: Since I didn't configure the relative geometrical location of the two monitors in Mint, the two monitors are now top-aligned, as opposed to center-aligned in my native OSX setup (I had to re-align them in Gimp) :
    DualMonitorsDisplays-3.png
    DualMonitorsDisplays-3.png (7.59 KiB) Viewed 4865 times
  • I hit HostKey-F to get out of FullScreen mode. I shut down the VM.
  • BTW, if I hit the FullScreen Widget on display #1, here's what I end up with. Not quite what' you'd "think" it would do, but it turns out that this is standard behavior (and expected if you think about it). Only that specific window (display #1) goes to its own space, not all of the "related" windows. It's like if you have multiple Safari windows and you maximize one of them to its own space, you wouldn't expect all your Safari windows to occupy their own unique space, would you?
    DualMonitorsDisplays-4.png
    DualMonitorsDisplays-4.png (26.61 KiB) Viewed 4865 times
    Maybe this is what's happening in your case, and display #2 is still in its primary space? Or somewhere "lost in space"? (pun intended)
In summary
  1. Try to start the VM without it being in FullScreen mode.
  2. Move the 2nd display in the 2nd monitor before going FullScreen.
  3. Try with the HostKey-F combination instead of hitting the full screen OSX widget.
Can you do me a favor and attach your "Mint.vbox"? Right-click on the VM, select "Show in Finder", zip that file and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).

Side discovery
I really don't know why you have the following (I don't) or how I can change my setup to match yours. Not that it matters for your specific problem, it's a quite interesting question to me, because there is no instance of those two entries in any of my logs for any of my VMs (4 logs x ~30 VMs).
00:00:01.024694 [/Devices/ahci/0/LUN#0/Config/] (level 5)
00:00:01.024695   BlockCache <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
00:00:01.024696   Format     <string>  = "VDI" (cb=4)
00:00:01.024696   Mountable  <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
00:00:01.024697   Path       <string>  = "/Users/nick/VirtualBox VMs/Mint/Mint.vdi" (cb=41)
00:00:01.024698   Type       <string>  = "HardDisk" (cb=9)
00:00:01.024698   UseNewIo   <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Shonn
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win 8, 10, 2012

Post by Shonn »

I'm having the same issue as tinpotnick.

OSX Macbook Pro host, Win 2012 guest. Guest configured with two displays, no external displays on the host, only the laptop screen. On VB 5.0.0 I could fullscreen each guest display and they would each get a space that I could switch between using a 3 finger swipe. On 5.1.14 I get the behavior as tinpotnick, The first virtual display moves to a space and the second disappears. It worked once so I know it's possible but apparently, something changed between 5.0.0 and 5.1.14 that broke it.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Shonn wrote:no external displays on the host
You do not have the same problem, or you might be confusing their behavior. For you the solution is NOT to use the HostKey+F combination, but to use the FullScreen widget on the top-right part of the window. What you do is:
  • Start the VM normally, NOT in full screen. You should have two windows, Display1 and Display2.
  • Maximize Display1 to its own space from the widget.
  • Switch you your main Space (the one that you started the VM from) and Maximize Display2.
  • Now each Display has its own space.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Shonn

Post by Shonn »

That's what I used to be able to do, using the green expand button at the top left of the window. Now when I do that and go back to the host window, the second guest display is gone. It's not in a window and it's not in the Spaces toolbar (the top bar in your screenshot).

I tried it again with 3d acceleration turned on and I get a different odd result, the second display is in a window in the host Space but only shows a small rectangular tab the color of the background. When I expand it to a space it opens a space then immediately springs back to a window.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Maybe then it is a 10.12.x issue then? Can you (both of you) try to think when this thing started happening? Was it a VirtualBox update or an OSX update? Let's assume that it's an OSX update, mainly because it doesn't happen with 10.9.5, which I have.

The VirtualBox theory is also the easiest to test, simply uninstall the current version and go back several 5.1.x versions, or even try the 5.0.x series. Your VMs will be fine... It shouldn't take more than a minute to uninstall the old version and install a new one. You don't even need the ExtPack for this.

Actually, so far we have "tinpotnick" that tried 5.0.32, 5.1.14 and the 5.1.15 test builds, and all have failed. I'm not sure if he tried the exact procedure I outlined, but let's assume for the sake of argument that he did and he observed the same behavior.

@Shonn
Interesting observation about the 3D acceleration. You also mentioned that you believe you saw it working with VirtualBox 5.0.0. Can you try that again? And then work your way up to the latest versions? It would really, really help if you can pinpoint the exact version that this behavior changed. That is if you want the "bug" to have any chance of being fixed, the more data points, the better...
Shonn

Post by Shonn »

I'm on 10.11.6.

I rolled back to 5.0.0 and it works. I tried 5.0.32 and it doesn't work. I'll try a few more to narrow it down.
Shonn

Post by Shonn »

5.0.4 works
5.0.6 doesn't work but also doesn't have the green expand buttons, you have to do it from View->Full-Screen Mode
5.0.8 didn't try
5.0.10 doesn't work but has the green expand buttons
5.0.18 doesn't work

Edit: settings are 2 displays, 128mb, and 3d turned off.

Edit 2: One minor issue it 5.0.0 and 5.0.4 is that sometimes you have to toggle between fullscreen and windowed twice because the first time it doesn't fully expand and has scroll bars. It doesn't bother me but just incase it helps.
tinpotnick

Post by tinpotnick »

Sorry for the slow response.

I have just run those versions. I agree it breaks between 5.0.4 and 5.0.6.

I have never been able to get this working. But in all honesty, I haven't tried that hard. This is me trying and making notes of versions for the first time. I have 2 macs and they are both running 10.12.3.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

5.1.16 just came out. It contains the following in the release notes:
• GUI: fixes for full-screen with multiple screens
Shonn

Post by Shonn »

5.1.16 also doesn't work, even after updating the guest drivers.

I'll stick to 5.0.4.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No, what I believe we should do it to open a new ticket. So far, it seems that only 10.11.x and 10.12.x users are affected. I'll look for and update this thread if I find a ticket.

@Shonn
I didn't have a chance to say, nice work with pinning down the exact version where things don't work anymore. Let's hope that someone else can verify. The more detailed the report, the better/sooner the bug gets fixed.
Bauhauser

Post by Bauhauser »

I have the same issue with fullscreen mode, spaces and multiple VB displays (MacOS 10.12.5 and VB 5.1.22 r115126).

Are there any updates on this issue? Seems it hasn't been fixed yet. :?:
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Bauhauser wrote:Seems it hasn't been fixed yet.
Start a step before the fix; seems that nobody opened a ticket. No ticket, no solution.
Shonn

Post by Shonn »

I gave up on it and decided to stick to 5.0.4 since it was the last version working.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

socratis wrote:No ticket, no solution.
Shonn wrote: gave up on it and decided to stick to 5.0.4
Gave up on what exactly? The inability of a potential problem that's not been reported to develop self-healing powers? I really hope you like your 5.0.4 in that case...