Multiple monitors full screen mode (ticket #16829)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
tinpotnick

Multiple monitors full screen mode (ticket #16829)

Post by tinpotnick »

[Mod edit: There is a ticket open for this, ticket #16829. But please do read the whole thread first.]

Hi,

VirtualBox version 5.0.32.

I have tried to figure this out, so hopefully, I am not missing something simple documented somewhere really obvious:). I want to run multiple monitors on the Client OS on running on OS X - this works nicely. On a Debian client, I get 2 windows showing each monitor.

What I would like, which is how a lot of Mac users work, is with full-screen applications.

When you go full screen on one monitor - this works nicely, and I can move quickly between my host applications and VirtualBox client.

When you use multiple monitors with VirtualBox, you get 2 Windows in non-full screen mode, but switching them to full-screen mode, monitor 2 goes away and only monitor 1 is left in full-screen mode. I saw suggestions about bringing the mini menu up, but there was nothing obvious in the menu to switch between monitors.

It would be really good to get this supported and multiple monitors in full-screen mode in order so you can 3 finger swipe right and left to get to them quickly.
Last edited by socratis on 14. Jun 2017, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket to the title.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Multiple monitors full screen mode

Post by socratis »

tinpotnick wrote:It would be really good to get this supported and multiple monitors in full-screen mode...
Multiple-full-screen monitors are supported. By your OSX host. VirtualBox is another application (like Safari or TextWrangler) which can go full-screen. That's all you need, you don't need any VirtualBox special settings for this. Take a look at:
tinpotnick wrote:...in order so you can 3 finger swipe right and left to get to them quickly.
Again, since OSX supports it, VirtualBox, like any other application, obliges.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tinpotnick

Post by tinpotnick »

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I went through all the posts - no success. I tested it on other applications, for example, Google Chrome. In Chrome, open a new window. I have 2 windows on my main desktop. I go full screen on one window, the second remains on the desktop. I go full screen on that it also works. I can 3 finger swipe right and left to go between the 2 full-screen applications (desktops). I was even pretty excited when I saw the screenshots - so it does work for some (maybe most?) users.

In Virtualbox. I start a guest (Debian). I keep it running on the desktop - I have 2 windows. I can log into the guest and use the 2 monitors in 2 windows perfectly fine. If I click the full-screen button on either, the moment I click the full screen the main window maximises, the second disappears.

I read the articles, ensured everything was the latest version, tried all combinations of settings in mission control. The second windows always disappear's. Minimise it again and the second window appears in the main desktop along with the primary.

Tomorrow, I will see what an Apple expert says but my guess is they will say other apps work ok.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

tinpotnick wrote:the moment I click the full screen the main window maximises, the second disappears.
The main window occupies its own, newly created, space, it doesn't get maximized. It's quite a different concept as you may very well know. In your OSX System Settings » Mission Control » Hot Corners, configure a hot corner to show all spaces, like the top-right one. Then maximize Screen1 of your VM and go to the selected hot-corner. You should see all your spaces. Take a look at the link that I sent you again, the one with the pictures. And yes, even the gestures work...

I don't want to start assuming whether or not you've installed the Guest Additions, so please post a log. With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save the first "VBox.log" only, ZIP it and attach it in your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tinpotnick

Post by tinpotnick »

I just had a chat with Apple, who my guess is first-line, but was happy with everything I was doing. I think in Sierra the hot corner you describe is not there. But, if you go to mission control (four fingers up) - this shows all spaces and desktops.

Log file attached. Yes - VirtualBox additions installed in the guest machine. Virtualbox additions are confirmed by mouse integration.

I also just tried playing with display settings. If I enable 'Enable 3d Acceleration", I can find the second window in mission control (it is not quite there - but there is a fragment when you go to mission control - when you click it, it brings it to the front). But when the first screen goes full screen, this second screen is not rendered correctly (all white apart from a small rectangle top left).

If I try to take the second screen full screen, it tries but bounces back to a normal window - still not working. If I return the first window to non-fullscreen, the second window starts working again.
Attachments
Debian-2017-02-27-08-26-13.log.zip
(23.22 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

tinpotnick wrote:I think in Sierra the hot corner you describe is not there.
Yes it is there, I double-checked. You simply have to set it, it never comes preset. That was the general idea...
tinpotnick wrote:But, if you go to mission control (four fingers up) - this shows all spaces and desktops.
That's exactly what the hot-corner would do if you assign it the Mission Control (which is what shows all your desktops). I simply pointed to an alternative solution in case your trackpad was not that new. You can also assign keyboard shortcuts, and in general, customize it all you want.
tinpotnick wrote:Virtualbox additions are confirmed by mouse integration.
Nope, that doesn't count as the GAs being installed. You can have (and you do have) mouse integration in guests that completely lack the GAs, like the OSX guests.

I don't have a Debian guest currently available, but with Mint that I tried it, it worked as you'd expect it, as I described it. With Fedora it didn't, as it didn't even recognize the 2nd (virtual) monitor. Chances are that I'm doing something wrong. May be it's a Debian limitation? Does it work fine with two screens if not in full display, does it see the 2nd display?
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

tinpotnick wrote:If I try to take the second screen full screen, it tries but bounces back to a normal window - still not working. If I return the first window to non-fullscreen, the second window starts working again.
some additional macOS tutorials
tinpotnick

Post by tinpotnick »

ChipMck: I have seen those - they didn't help.

socratis:

I just downloaded Ubuntu and Mint. Ubuntu didn't recognise a second monitor, so gave up. Mint behaved exactly like Debian. I definitely have GAs installed in all testes.

Debian works fine across 2 monitors not in full-screen mode.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

tinpotnick wrote:Mint behaved exactly like Debian.
I have Mint 17-64bit Cinnamon and it definitely works. Do you want to upload a log so that we can compare?
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Here are my Mission Control settings, in case it helps:
  • : Show Dashboard as a space.
    : Automatically rearrange Spaces based on most recent use.
  • : When switching to an application, switch to a Space with open windows for that application.
    : Group windows by application.
  • : Displays have separate Spaces.
I believe it's the last two settings that might interfere with your setup.
tinpotnick

Post by tinpotnick »

Hi,

I was running Mint 18, so I have just installed 17 as well. Logs from both 17 and 18 attatched.
Attachments
Mint 18-2017-02-27-16-38-45.log.zip
Mint 18
(28.76 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Mint 17-2017-02-27-19-44-16.log.zip
Mint 17.3
(33.46 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
tinpotnick

Post by tinpotnick »

Also, I just matched your mission control settings. Nothing.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I really don't know why this reply didn't make it in the forums. I did an analysis (similar to the one below), but I couldn't find it anymore. I only realized when you filed a bug report about this. So, here it goes again:
VirtualBox VM 5.0.32 r112930 darwin.amd64 (Jan 16 2017 21:29:50) release log
You're running an older version of VirtualBox. Can you try with the latest as of this writing 5.1.14?
00:00:00.961776 Guest OS type: 'Linux26_64'
You should definitely change this to "Ubuntu (64-bit)".
00:00:19.319687 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.0.4 r102546 '5.0.4_LinuxMint'
Not only you're running a quite older version of the GAs, but you're running the ones that came bundled with your distribution, which is a fork of the official ones. You need to purge/delete them and install the official ones that come with VirtualBox (hopefully after you upgrade to 5.1.14), by going to the menu Devices » Insert GA CD. Follow the prompt for the installation of the GAs in the Ubuntu.

Finally, you don't have 3D acceleration enabled in your guest. I'm not sure if it will help you with the dual monitor issue, but it definitely won't hurt you either.
tinpotnick

Post by tinpotnick »

Hi socratis,

I didn't know you manned both! Sure happy to carry on in the forum:)

* So far I tried 5.032 and 5.1.15 (pre-release - I thought posted the 5.1.15 log - obviously not!). I just uninstalled 5.1.15 and installed 5.1.14. Ran through complete removal of GA in Mint and installed from ISO (VMMDev: Guest Log: VBoxService 5.1.14 r112924 (verbosity: 0) linux.amd64 (Jan 16 2017 17:38:46) release log).
* Changed profile to Ubuntu (Guest OS type: 'Ubuntu_64').
* Not sure how that version crept in there, I tried again (VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.1.14 r112924 '5.1.14').
* 3D enabled (I have been trying it both ways!).

No difference.
Attachments
Mint-2017-03-01-13-37-32(Ubuntu).log.zip
Ubuntu profile
(29.12 KiB) Downloaded 119 times