Shared folders with WinXP guest again

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Ratchet

Shared folders with WinXP guest again

Post by Ratchet »

I'm running 10.5.4 as host and WinXP as guest mit VB 1.6.2. Guest addidions are installed. I tried to get the shared folders to work for more then three days. No luck. Also networking is not working. I read all the threads in the forum about shared folder problems and got no result.
One question: If I need to install a WinXP with SP2 included to get this to work? I just got a very old WinXP version. It's without SP1! But I've installed SP1 and SP3 after OS installation. Can this be a problem?
If not, I don't know what I should do else.
m@riposa
Volunteer

Post by m@riposa »

No, neither SP1 nor SP2 is needed for the Guest Additions.
Did you activate at least one network adapter in the configuration of the VirtualMachine that is connectet to NAT?

And did you enable sound in "Settings->Audio->Enable Audio"?
Btw: I chose "CoreAudio" as Host Audio Driver.
Ratchet

Post by Ratchet »

It workes now. I've deinstalled guest addidions 1.6.2 and downloaded 1.6.0 guest additions and installed it. I don't know why it will not work with the current version.
paule

Post by paule »

For some reason, they recommend to install the guest addition twice. My shared folder works after reinstall the guest addition the second time, 1.6.2 both times. I guessed it's still a beta, so nothing really working smoothly.
amagine
Volunteer

Share Folders - Can bring XP Guest to stand still

Post by amagine »

I concur,

I also have issues when accessing shared folders from XP

Mac OSX.5.4 Host
VBox 1.6.2 Guest Additions installed (multiple times to fix issue)
Windows XP SP3 Guest

It almost seems as though I must re-install VBox Guest Add's after installing applications on XP or after Windows Updates.

Scenario

- Open VBox
- Launch XP Guest
- Windows Updates
(sometimes restart needed due to Update, but restart/reboot does not seem to make any difference)
- Start working in XP Guest
- Attempt to access a VBox shared folder
- Windows Explorer Stall or File Explore Dialog Stall

*If using Windows Explorer to access VBox Shared Folder, Windows Explorer grinds to halt. If left for appx. 10-15 minutes Explorer will rein-gage and shared folder is navigable.
**If accessing VBox Shared Folder from an application dialog box folder explore inside Guest XP. Same issue as above.
NOTE: Noticed that If I opened a dialogue box folder explore within an application while Windows Explorer is Not-Responding due to above issue, I can kick start the shared folder to be recognized by Windows Explorer. The reverse is also true

The above issue will continue some what randomly unless I re-install guest additions and reboot XP.

After Re-install and reboot, Shared Folders work swiftly until the next event which seems to take place after a change to the XP Guest system of some sort.

This makes me wonder if it some issue with either the registry or a permissions of sorts. Just throwing that out as a wild guess.

Great Virtual Machine though. I am extremely impressed with the performance. I would not install on production machines, but I am running it myself, for testing purposes.

Great Work Team!
moojoo

Post by moojoo »

Hi there,

it's the same with my VBox: i had to reinstall the Guest Additions (1.6.2 i guess) one time to make things work (WinXP SP2).

-moojoo
sanny

Post by sanny »

Hi all,

that's true, re-installing Guest Additions is working :)

thanks
pyramind

Post by pyramind »

ah glad I found this topic. I've NEVER been able to make networking work with osx host/XP guest. installing additions twice fixed it.
this should be mentioned, at least for now I think. I've been trying to get this working since 1.5...
AutoScantool

Post by AutoScantool »

Have you tried the latest VB 1.6.4?

Might be fixed :)
pyramind

Post by pyramind »

Yeah, today I downloaded the latest version to try(I always try VirtualBox first to see if this is fixed, when installing a vmachine) and networking didn't work. I checked the forums to see if there are any news, then installed additions twice and it magically worked. This is 1.6.4.