How to bridge adapter on PEAP/MSCHAP network

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ideanl

How to bridge adapter on PEAP/MSCHAP network

Post by ideanl »

I work in an area that uses a PEAP/MSCHAP wireless network for authentication. Unfortunately, none of my linux Virtual Machines work when bridging on these network, but they work with NAT. They do not get an IP address and I don't think they are even connected. I need to use a Bridged adapters for most of my tasks, so does anybody know how I can get this working or at least debug the problem?

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How to bridge adapter on PEAP/MSCHAP network

Post by socratis »

Bridged and wireless don't always play nice. Bridged networking is outside the WLAN specification. Bridging to wireless is not really bridging. The guest shares the MAC of the host and the host does a sort of MAC-NAT translation based on IP addresses. Promiscuous mode doesn't exist in the official WLAN specifications. It may or may not work. Some combinations of Routers/Access Points, WLAN cards and drivers work, some don't. See: Bridging & Wifi - Supported hardware and add your experience.

Try to see if it works either with wired bridged or with NAT.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ideanl

Post by ideanl »

It works with NAT, and I don't have access to a wired connection on this network. Bridging on wireless networks has always worked for me except for at this network, which is why I'm suspicious of the PEAP authentication. NAT works fine, but for my purposes I want to have multiple VMs on one host communicating with each other. An internal network doesn't work either on this network, so I have no idea how to proceed with this.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

ideanl wrote:It works with NAT, and I don't have access to a wired connection on this network. Bridging on wireless networks has always worked for me except for at this network, which is why I'm suspicious of the PEAP authentication.
If I take my laptop at the office, bridging does not work. It works great at my home. Since everything else is equal, the problem is with the router in my office. Only the wireless part, if I used wired it works fine. That's why I gave you the link with the hardware testcases to read. It has absolutely nothing to do with PEAP authentication.
ideanl wrote:NAT works fine, but for my purposes I want to have multiple VMs on one host communicating with each other. An internal network doesn't work either on this network, so I have no idea how to proceed with this.
Well, you have several options. One is to have multiple network cards in your guests; one NAT, one Internal.

The other is to use the relatively new NAT Service (or NATNetwork), which is a combination of Internal and NAT. You'll have to first create a NATNetwork in the VirtualBox preferences, not in the VM Settings. Then you assign your VM's adapter to the NATNetwork.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Hunkah

Post by Hunkah »

Has anyone come up with a workaround for this issue?

I'm looking for basically anything. Most laptops don't have a network port anymore, so having a workaround would be awesome.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Hunkah wrote:having a workaround would be awesome
There's no workaround. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't.