Windows guest sluggishness / lag with mouse pointer

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows guest sluggishness / lag with mouse pointer

Post by socratis »

Even if you gave me your MacBook, I couldn't be in Athens that day. Thanks for the offer ;)
It's not that I don't believe that users don't see what they report; I do. The question is to identify what exactly is the common denominator on these setups. If you really think that it would help the developers, you could make a video and point to it in the ticket.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
agodfrin
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WinXP, Linux,Win7

Post by agodfrin »

The common denominator seems to be the high-resolution (retina) screens that comes with all the recent MacBooks. My older macbook that runs the exact same software versions, but does not have a retina screen works fine. Other reporters seem to indicate the same.
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Yes, it would certainly seem so. Thing is that the developers have retina display systems, and (from my understanding) they can't seem to be able to reproduce it reliably.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
agodfrin
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WinXP, Linux,Win7

Post by agodfrin »

Revisiting this issue. I am now on 5.2.12 r122591 (Qt5.6.3) and macOS 10.13.4 (17E202). I still see the sluggishness on my macbook pro with the retina screen. I have the exact same versions (same os, same vbox) on my other mabcook pro without a retina screen, and everything is smooth and snappy.

To be sure, the sluggishness is less than it used to be: things have improved gradually over the VBOX versions. Or maybe I have just grown used to the sluggishness. But it is still there ...
eelgheez

Post by eelgheez »

Changing the MacBook resolution to the largest text option worked around the sluggishness of the mouse pointer and the excessive auto-repeat of key presses.