Unable to find network printers after upgrading to VirtualBox 5 on Mac OS X 10.9

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
mkesten

Unable to find network printers after upgrading to VirtualBox 5 on Mac OS X 10.9

Post by mkesten »

We were running Virtual Box on Mac OS X 10.6.8 and started to have trouble printing outside of VirtualBox, even though a network printer was accessible to software outside of the Virtual machine. We kept getting messages that a printer could not be found inside of Windows 7 and a further message when we tried to install the printer that the Print Spooling was turned off. We upgraded Virtual Box from V.4 to V.5, we upgraded Mac OS to 10.9 Mavericks. Still getting the same problem and we can't figure out whether it is a Windows setting or VirtualBox setting that is hampering printing inside VirtualBox.

Would I be better off upgrading to VMWare Fusion?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to find network printers after upgrading to VirtualBox 5 on Mac OS X 10.9

Post by socratis »

You mention a problem with a network printer, yet no details at all about your network. Please provide full details about the network topology and the settings in the affected VM in VirtualBox. IPs, netmasks, gateways, everything.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.