Unable to share files Windows NT 4 guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
lastal

Unable to share files Windows NT 4 guest

Post by lastal »

Hi, I'm new in VirtualBox, and I'm trying to establish shared folder between Mac Host and Windows NT 4 guest. Everything else works fine except sharing. I've installed the Guest Additions and followed the instructions, but unable to establish the shared folder.

The shared folder is "permanent" and "auto-mode" (not read-only), network settings attached to Bridge Adapter. And I've tried connecting by writing "net use x: \\vboxsvr\<shared folder name>, but the Command Prompt replies: "System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found."

Can someone help how to establish shared folder on my system?

VirtualBox version 5.1.14, Mac OSX 10.12.3, Windows NT 4.0 (Service pack 1)

Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to share files Windows NT 4 guest

Post by socratis »

Ch. 4.3 Shared folders:
Shared Folders are supported with Windows (2000 or newer), Linux and Solaris guests.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

GA shared folders (on \\vboxsvr\xxxx) are not network shares, so your information about using bridged networking etc is not directly relevant.

As Socratis mentions, there are no GA shared folders for NT4 guests. You can however configure a true network share just as you would if the Mac host and the NT4 PC were physical and connected by an Ethernet cable. In this case Bridged networking is a good choice, host only networking would also work (I assume that with an NT4 guest you won''t be doing much Internet browsing).
lastal

Post by lastal »

Thank you socratis and mpack for your replies!
I didn't notice about the Windows2000 and above limitation, sorry.

Yes, you are right mpack, I do not have any need for internet connection for the Windows NT guest. (I just need some old software that does not work properly in Windows2000.) However, as I'm really fresh with virtualbox (and with Windows in general), could you tell me how to establish this straight connection with bridged or host only networking? How do I set up the "true network share".

Many thanks in advance!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

A true network share is how you'd do things in real life, i.e. not use the "virtual" shares that VirtualBox provides for convenience. As mpack said, "just as you would if the Mac host and the NT4 PC were physical and connected by an Ethernet cable". So, what do you do?
  1. Remove the shares from the VM Settings. No need for them.
  2. Mac, System Preferences, Sharing, File Sharing, Options: SMB sharing, check. Then decide on what you share, and please be really careful NOT to share them read-write, or if you do, make sure that you're not sharing your home folder.
Now, I'm not sure 100% that this is going to work. Why? Because Apple changed their SMB protocol to match the latest and greatest, which inconveniently might mean that it may not be backwards compatible.

Unfortunately all of these are not VirtualBox questions and you'll have better luck with a web search...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.