VERR_ACCESS_DENIED after working fine yesterday

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
spw

VERR_ACCESS_DENIED after working fine yesterday

Post by spw »

My VM Windows 7 won't start after it opened fine yesterday.
the message says: VD: error VERR_ACCESS_DENIED opening image file " "..
Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MediumWrap
Interface: IMedium {4afe423b-43e0-e9d0-82e8-ceb307940dda}

my VM is connected to an external harddrive which, I have unmounted before trying to launch. does anyone know what the issue is? does it have to do with the permissions? how do i check that? I am new to the commands in terminal so i don't know what to type in
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VERR_ACCESS_DENIED after working fine yesterday

Post by socratis »

spw wrote:which, I have unmounted before trying to launch.
I really hope that this is a typo and you really meant "I have mounted".

Find where you keep your VM. The easiest way to find it is by right-clicking on the VM in VirtualBox Manager and selecting "Show in Finder". Open up Terminal. Then from the Terminal post the output of the command:
  • ls -alRe@ "<Your_FULL_VM_path>"
And please do not chop up the paths or any other information, like you did with the error message. Otherwise we'd know by now your VM's full path...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
spw

Post by spw »

i am omitting the Username and will put in "USERNAME" here but when i put it into terminal it has the real name of the user.

here is what followed:

Code: Select all

USER-NAMEs-MacBook-Pro:~ USERNAME$ ls -alRe@ /Users/USERNAME/VirtualBox\ VMs/Laptop/Laptop.vbox 

-rw-------  1 USERNAME  staff  7567 Jan 25 17:02 /Users/USERNAME/VirtualBox VMs/Laptop/Laptop.vbox
Last edited by socratis on 26. Jan 2017, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [code] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1. I should have asked for the output of the directory where the .vbox (the "recipe" of the VM) resides. So, can you please post the output of [1]:
    • ls -alRe@ /Users/USERNAME/VirtualBox\ VMs/Laptop
  2. I want the complete error message, i.e. what's the file that you have no access to.
  3. I still don't have an explanation of what exactly did you mean by:
    spw wrote:my VM is connected to an external harddrive which, I have unmounted before trying to launch.
  4. From he list that you provided, it doesn't seem that the VM is on an external HD as you described originally, but in your OSX's default user folder [2]. Unless you did some hocus pocus with your files. See next.
  5. Anything else you might be forgetting/skipping?

[1] : Replacing of course USERNAME with your actual user name.
[2] : I'm not saying it couldn't in theory, but if you knew how to move the whole "/Users/" directory (a really way advanced procedure) you wouldn't be asking here about wrong permissions.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
spw

Post by spw »

1. the output of the command is :

-rw-------  1 USERNAME  staff  7567 Jan 27 14:25 /Users/USERNAME/VirtualBox VMs/Laptop/Laptop.vbox
2. the full message that comes up after I try to start my VM is this:

Could not open the medium '/Users/USERNAME/VM/mycomp.vmdk'.
VD: error VERR_ACCESS_DENIED opening image file '/Users/USERNAME/VM/mycomp.vmdk' (VERR_ACCESS_DENIED).

Result Code: 
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: 
MediumWrap
Interface: 
IMedium {4afe423b-43e0-e9d0-82e8-ceb307940dda}
I'm seeing now that the path for that is different than the one I found in the finder and here is the output message after the same previous command:

-rw-------  1 USERNAME  staff  632 Jan 25 00:23 /Users/USERNAME/VM/mycomp.vmdk
3/4. I'm sorry I misspoke, correct, the VM is not on an external HD. I am accessing my old computer's HD windows 7 that has been put into an external enclosure through VM. So a friend of mine that was walking me through setting up VM said I needed to unmount my external HD from OSX in order to start my HD through VM. I have tried starting it both un/mounted and it won't start either way
Last edited by socratis on 28. Jan 2017, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [code] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

spw wrote:the output of the command is :
No, it is not. Please do not "chop" the commands or the output as you see fit. If you want help that is. If not, I'm fine. I can't be guessing what the problem is unless I have the FULL details.

You "chopped" several lines: 1) the current directory (".") information, 2) the parent directory ("..") information, 3) the rest of the permissions, like the ACLs and 4) the Logs and Snapshots sub-directories information. Here's an example of what the output should look like. Command line included of course so I'll know it wasn't messed up during copy/paste:

SGK-MBP2300:~ socratis$ ls -alRe@ /Users/Shared/VirtualBox/Machines/Mint
total 12603512
drwxrw-rw-+  7 socratis  staff         238 12 Ιαν 18:52 .
 0: user:_spotlight inherited allow list,search,readattr,readextattr,readsecurity,file_inherit,directory_inherit
drwxrwxrwx+ 51 socratis  staff        1734 26 Ιαν 21:20 ..
 0: user:_spotlight inherited allow list,search,readattr,readextattr,readsecurity,file_inherit,directory_inherit
drwxrw-rw-+  7 socratis  staff         238 12 Ιαν 18:08 Logs
-rw-rw-rw-+  1 socratis  staff       22334 12 Ιαν 18:52 Mint.vbox
 0: user:_spotlight inherited allow read,execute,readattr,readextattr,readsecurity
-rw-rw-rw-+  1 socratis  staff       33045 12 Ιαν 18:52 Mint.vbox-prev
 0: user:_spotlight inherited allow read,execute,readattr,readextattr,readsecurity
-rw-rw-rw-+  1 socratis  staff  6452936704 12 Ιαν 19:18 Mint.vdi
drwxrw-rw-+  3 socratis  staff         102 12 Ιαν 18:52 Snapshots

/Users/Shared/VirtualBox/Machines/Mint/Logs:
total 1504
drwxrw-rw-+ 7 socratis  staff     238 12 Ιαν 18:08 .
drwxrw-rw-+ 7 socratis  staff     238 12 Ιαν 18:52 ..
-rw-rw-rw-+ 1 socratis  staff  138389 12 Ιαν 18:39 VBox.log
-rw-rw-rw-+ 1 socratis  staff  173607 12 Ιαν 18:07 VBox.log.1
-rw-rw-rw-+ 1 socratis  staff  151279 12 Ιαν 17:13 VBox.log.2
-rw-rw-rw-+ 1 socratis  staff  145918 12 Ιαν 17:09 VBox.log.3
-rw-rw-rw-+ 1 socratis  staff  154068 23 Νοε 20:37 VBoxC270.log

/Users/Shared/VirtualBox/Machines/Mint/Snapshots:
total 4096
drwxrw-rw-+ 3 socratis  staff      102 12 Ιαν 18:52 .
drwxrw-rw-+ 7 socratis  staff      238 12 Ιαν 18:52 ..
-rw-rw-rw-+ 1 socratis  staff  2097152 12 Ιαν 18:52 {a495a661-cdb3-4ccb-b433-53fb35c8edea}.vdi
SGK-MBP2300:~ socratis$ 
Do you see the differences? And why does it matter? Because you have to have at least read access to the directories throughout the whole path and full access to specific files. And I don't have that information now.

Please post the "/Users/USERNAME/VirtualBox VMs/Laptop/Laptop.vbox" file. Zipped. If you are so afraid of revealing fake IDs and your username, please send me a PM with the whole thing. I'll clean it up for you. But please don't try to obfuscate anything, because I have to have the whole picture.

Plus, you have to explain in full detail what the following means:
spw wrote:I am accessing my old computer's HD windows 7 that has been put into an external enclosure through VM.
Were you doing a P2V (physical to virtual) conversion? And if so, why a VMDK? And why in a whole different subdirectory?

Finally is this a standalone OSX or a part of a "domain"? Are you the only user?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I think I know what's going on. Or a semi-good idea at least. From that list output:
spw wrote:
-rw-------  1 USERNAME  staff  632 Jan 25 00:23 /Users/USERNAME/VM/mycomp.vmdk
I see that the VMDK is not a virtual HD on it's own, it's too small for that. It must be a descriptor that points to a raw disk someplace. Please, on top of the other information that I asked for, post the output of:
  • cat /Users/USERNAME/VM/mycomp.vmdk