Struggling to get windows 10 up and running on VB

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
August

Struggling to get windows 10 up and running on VB

Post by August »

Hi everyone.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

I have a legal copy of Windows 10 on my Asus laptop. I have recently bought a MAC and dowloaded virtual box. I need to run windows 10.

I have downloaded VB.

I don't have a disc for windows, I don't remember where I put it or anything about it really, but I am sure its legal.

so I downloaded it off the Windows website. It is loaded onto VB off my Mac where it was downloaded.

I run into issues when trying to install.I selected "I do not have a key" and Windows How version. It always gets to a point where it says it cannot find a drive and I can't continue.

What do I do? How can I get this right? Please, any advice much appreciated.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Struggling to get windows 10 up and running on VB

Post by socratis »

August wrote:I selected "I do not have a key" and Windows How version.
I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand what you're referring to. Can you describe the installation process in more detail? With exact and complete error messages? You may attach a screenshot if you have to (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).

If you're using a HiDPI display, and you have to attach a screenshot please shrink the image with Preview by at least 50%.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You said that you don't have a "disc for Windows", so what did you attempt an install with? Do you mean that you downloaded an ISO?

If the product key you have is for a branded OEM Windows version then it probably won't work with a downloaded ISO, which if official is essentially the retail edition.

And I hope you understand that you can't activate two Windows instances with one product key.
August

Post by August »

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

I am a total novice, in case that isn't very obvious, so don't make any assumptions about what I know :)

I am trying to install Windows using the download from the website.

To clarify, is my Windows 10 license linked to my device? i.e.. my old laptop? In that case would I need to buy it again to run on virtual box on my MAC? Can I get it through Torrent? Thanks again.

exact error message: "No signed device drivers were found. make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers then click ok."

Thanks again
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

August wrote:I am trying to install Windows using the download from the website.
Novice or not, this sentence could be clearer, as in:
I am trying to install the Windows 10, Greek, 64-bit, from Microsoft's website (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... ndows10ISO).
So that we'll know what you're downloading and possibly advice you. Generic terms are just that; too broad.

Also, please make sure that you select the appropriate template when you're creating the VM. You can always modify the options after the creation in the VM settings.

As far as the license, yes, if it is tied to the laptop, it is tied to the laptop only. You could talk to Microsoft about that.

Finally, "No signed device drivers were found" seems to be happening a lot in real computers too. I haven't had it happen, so I don't know what might be going on. One probability is that the ISO download is corrupt.

Make sure to check the FAQ section on the downloads section: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/faq
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Yes, a Windows product key can only be activated on one PC at a time. That's the whole purpose of activation. You can move PCs, but activating on the second will kill activation on the first... and if you do it more than a couple of times then that will stop working too and a phone call to Microsoft will be needed.

Basically, if you want to install Win10 on a new PC (and that includes VMs), then you need a separate product key. That's the bit that costs money, but it needn't be a huge amount. A couple of years ago you could have bought a cheap 2nd hand Win7 license and upgraded that to Win10 for free - but the free upgrade period for Win10 ended ISTR around this time last year.