Start on Desktop 2

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
brycesteiner
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Start on Desktop 2

Post by brycesteiner »

Hello Friends,

I am working on virtualbox and love it.

I have windows 7 in a guest and I have a an iMac (10.12.2) host running 5.1.12. What I would like to do is automatically have my guest start up on desktop 2 rather than the main desktop. I would like to keep the resolution at 1280x1024 in a window (or thereabout)

Is there anyway to do this other than making it auto adjust and full screen?

thanks,
Bryce
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Start on Desktop 2

Post by socratis »

No. Neither does any other program on the Mac. Try to spread your Safari windows across desktops and have its preferences to "Safari opens with: All windows from last session". Quit Safari and relaunch. All the windows will be in the current desktop (not necessarily desktop 1).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
rpmurray
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Post by rpmurray »

If you only have the one VM and you mean that you want it to open on desktop 2 when you start the VM from the Virtualbox Manager then you can do that using the following steps:

1) Change to desktop 2.
2) Start up the VM from VirtualBox Manager.
3) Right click on the VM in the Dock and chose Options > This Desktop.

When you next start the VM from the VirtualBox Manager (and it doesn't matter which desktop you're on when you do that) it should open the VM on desktop 2. Since all VMs are named VirtualBoxVM.app when running this means that all VMs will open on desktop 2; in other words, you can't have different VMs open on different desktops.

Handy link to the Apple document about this: macOS Sierra: Work in multiple spaces
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

rpmurray, bingo! I completely forgot about that one.
Funny thing? I use it all the time (well sort of). I use it for the Activity Monitor and the Console, but I have set the option not to "This desktop", but to "All Desktops". It's been like that since Expose (multiple desktops) was introduced.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
brycesteiner
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by brycesteiner »

Excellent! thank you very much.