Installation failed on macOS Sierra

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Installation failed on macOS Sierra

Post by socratis »

Lod wrote:their clean install is in fact from a system image created by them.
The thing is that your system is heavily modified in unknown ways. There's no way on earth that you're not getting any messages in the '/var/log/system.log' after a (un)successful run of a 'kextload' command. That alone put two huge question marks where my eye sockets used to be and had me scratching my head and hunting for answers. Shooting in the dark is an understatement.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was the antivirus that's doing this. They may have a list of allowed kext files that are allowed or not to load? I have no clue. And Docker actually has a daemon running that gets a lock on the VirtualBox related kexts and you can't simply replace them on the fly, like you'd do with a normal VirtualBox installation. I don't even know why they're doing this, but I haven't studied it.

The final problem is that I can't replicate the problem with the kext loading, since I can't "fake" an unloadable kext. Let me know if you figure anything out.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
r351574nc3

Post by r351574nc3 »

I am encountering this same problem with version 5.1.24 on macOS Sierra 10.12.3

I have tried manually loading/unloading kernel modules. It did not work. Here's the verbose output from kextutil

Code: Select all

Loading /Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext.
(kernel) User-space log flags changed from 0x0 to 0xfff.
(kernel) Received kext load request from user space.
(kernel) Refusing new kext com.apple.kpi.libkern, v16.4: already have loaded v16.3.
(kernel) Refusing new kext com.apple.kpi.unsupported, v16.4: already have loaded v16.3.
(kernel) Refusing new kext com.apple.kpi.iokit, v16.4: already have loaded v16.3.
(kernel) Refusing new kext com.apple.kpi.mach, v16.4: already have loaded v16.3.
(kernel) Refusing new kext com.apple.kpi.bsd, v16.4: already have loaded v16.3.
(kernel) Received request from user space to load kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv.
(kernel) Loading kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv.
(kernel) Kext com.apple.kpi.libkern is already loaded.
(kernel) Kext com.apple.kpi.unsupported is already loaded.
(kernel) Kext com.apple.kpi.iokit is already loaded.
(kernel) Kext com.apple.kpi.mach is already loaded.
(kernel) Kext com.apple.kpi.bsd is already loaded.
(kernel) Allocated link buffer for kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv at 0xffffff7f9d016000 (397312 bytes).
(kernel) Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv executable loaded; 97 pages at 0xffffff7f83216000 (load tag 148).
(kernel) Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv calling module start function.
(kernel) Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv registered class org_virtualbox_SupDrv.
(kernel) Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv has IOService subclass org_virtualbox_SupDrv; enabling autounload.
(kernel) Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv registered class org_virtualbox_SupDrvClient.
(kernel) Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv unregistering class org_virtualbox_SupDrvClient.
(kernel) Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv unregistering class org_virtualbox_SupDrv.
(kernel) Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv did not start (return code 0x5).
(kernel) Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv start failed (result 0x5).
(kernel) Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv failed to load (0xdc008017).
(kernel) Failed to load kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv (error 0xdc008017).
(kernel) Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv unloading.
(kernel) Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv unwiring and unmapping linked executable.
(kernel) Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv unloaded.
(kernel) Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv removing all personalities naming it from the IOCatalogue.
Kernel error handling kext request - (libkern/kext) kext (kmod) start/stop routine failed.
Failed to load /Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext - (libkern/kext) kext (kmod) start/stop routine failed.
Failed to load /Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext - (libkern/kext) kext (kmod) start/stop routine failed.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

• Open "VirtualBox-5.1.14-112924-OSX.dmg".
  • Run "VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool". Twice, or until it reports there's nothing to uninstall.
  • Reboot.
  • Open "VirtualBox-5.1.14-112924-OSX.dmg".
  • Run "VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool".
  • Run "VirtualBox.pkg" to install VirtualBox.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Lod

Post by Lod »

socratis wrote: The final problem is that I can't replicate the problem with the kext loading, since I can't "fake" an unloadable kext. Let me know if you figure anything out.
Sorry for the late reaction, busy times at work and I forgot this post.

The administrators confiscated my laptop for a whole day, but they got it running. If I remember correctly, this time they used a really new install and installed Virtualbox before anything else. Virtualbox is working now, but I'm afraid the source of the problems will never be found.

Still thanks for your time.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Lod wrote:they used a really new install and installed Virtualbox before anything else
That will always work, but that's the nuclear option ;)

Thanks for the feedback.