Error in starting VM after upgrading to Sierra

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
nobitachan88

Error in starting VM after upgrading to Sierra

Post by nobitachan88 »

After upgrading my OS X from 10.10.5 to Sierra, I got error messages when trying to switch on my VM in VirtualBox.
I am not sure if there is a way around it or have I already lost my VM?
Alternatively I am thinking whether it is possible export my VM, re-install VirtualBox, and then import it back.
Any help is appreciated, thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Error in starting VM after upgrading to Sierra

Post by socratis »

nobitachan88 wrote:I got error messages
Care to share? With full and complete details. And full versions of host, guest, VirtualBox version. I'm not that good at guessing.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nobitachan88

Post by nobitachan88 »

Error messages:
The virtual machine "xxx" has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
VirtualBox VM terminated unexpectedly.
Host: Before (OSX 10.10.5) Current (MacOS 10.12.1)
Guest: Windows 7 64 bit
VirtualBox version: 4.3.28

I would tend to think installing a newer version of Virtual Box is the best way to go.
I'm assuming if I do so I won't lose my current VM?
Last edited by socratis on 5. Dec 2016, 08:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

nobitachan88 wrote:VirtualBox version: 4.3.28
That's way too old for 10.12.
nobitachan88 wrote:I would tend to think installing a newer version of Virtual Box is the best way to go.
Absolutely.
nobitachan88 wrote:I'm assuming if I do so I won't lose my current VM?
Again, correct 100%.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
giodiui

Post by giodiui »

Hi there,
I had the same trouble and just updated to the last version of Virtualbox.
Now the problem is that as soon as windows xp opens in VB the system captures my mouse and keyboard and I have no way to rescue them except by turning the Mac off.
I have not changed the settings, therefore I do not know what is happening, nor how to solve this. Is there anything I can modify from the Virtualbox preferences to prevent this?
thanks
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

If you have not added a blank USB filter that captures everything (BTW, it shouldn't happen in any event), you could press the Left-Cmd key, known as the HostKey to return control to the host.

Turning the Mac off, is not your best option, you could always shut the guest down.