Say this application is not signed.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
B##

Say this application is not signed.

Post by B## »

I want to use Linux Kali on my VB everything is fine but when I want to launch my image it say this application is not signed. Everything seems to work fine even thought it says that. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. :|
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Say this application is not signed.

Post by socratis »

Can you post a screenshot of the dialog with the error? I'm not sure I understand the "when I want to launch my image" part.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
B##

Post by B## »

Here it is, I thought i sent it :/
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 8.30.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 8.30.37 PM.png (102.25 KiB) Viewed 6278 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

This is an image of the "Import Appliance" dialog. Are you getting the "Application not signed" after you click on the Import? Because I don't see the error in that picture, so I'm assuming that it happens after you hit Import, right?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

The screenshot does have a line which says Appliance is not signed. Perhaps that is what the OP means.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Man, sometimes I'm completely blind. I'm sorry about that... :?

I had my mind set in the OSX warning about something downloaded from the Internet where OSX attaches metadata to make it sound "dangerous", even if it's a text file that you try to open with TextEdit.

This is not even a warning, it's purely informational. The OVF standard supports an optional certificate. The message pretty much says that there is no certificate available in that appliance.
B##

Post by B## »

Ooo, ok, so it's fine then?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The dialog is stating a fact: the appliance you are about to import is not signed. It's for you to decide if that's expected or not, and acceptable or not. For me it would depend on where I downloaded it from, and whether the originating place typically signs their downloads.

I'd point out that signing executables or downloads costs money: you have to register with a vetting agency. So I wouldn't necessarily expect that in a free download.
B##

Post by B## »

ok great, thank you. It's from the linux kali web site so it should be safe. Ill figure it out.
dry
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by dry »

B## wrote:Here it is, I thought i sent it :/
Very puzzled by that picture .. Whats your host?

I *wish* I would seen this message about not-signed ova, but I never seen it. All my ova's are un-signed.
I did test creating some signed ones - with command line openssl - but that didn't create any difference for Vbox import it , same way.