Guest Additions Updates

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
jonr

Guest Additions Updates

Post by jonr »

I run VBox on 2 macs, an iMac (late 2014) and a MacBook Pro (2014). Both are running El Capitan. On the iMac, I updated VBox to Version 5.0.30 r112061 and on restarting VBox was asked if I wanted to upgrade VBox Guest Additions. I did so and all seems to be running well. On the MacBook, I ran the same upgrade to VBox but wasn't asked if I wanted to upgrade the Guest Additions. Two questions:

1. Why the different behaviour?
2. How to update the GA on the MacBook?

Grateful for any advice...
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest Additions Updates

Post by socratis »

Please see: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=80837

Why do we have two similar reports about notification for the Guest Additions within minutes? And yours is particularly perplexing because you say "on restarting VBox was asked if I wanted to upgrade VBox Guest Additions", which never happens. If you restart your guest, then you potentially get a notification about newer guest additions. Never an installation prompt. Can you please clarify what's going on?

And just because I have a hunch, please note:
  • The Extension Pack get installed on the host and it has to match the VirtualBox version. It provides functionality such as USB2-3, Webcam, VRDP, PXE, Encryption.
  • The Guest Additions get installed on the guest and it would be good to match the VirtualBox version. It provides functionality such as shared folders, shared clipboard, drag and drop, pointer sharing, enhanced graphics support.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.