Guest Additions wont update

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ovaller

Guest Additions wont update

Post by ovaller »

Hello,

I am currently running Version 5.1.10 r112026 (Qt5.6.2) but the guest additions continues to say 5.0.10r104061 when you scroll over the icon in the task bar. When I updated VM it asked if I wanted to update the guest addition and I selected yes but it continues to show the old guest addition. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest Additions wont update

Post by socratis »

ovaller wrote:When I updated VM
By "update the VM" I assume you mean "updated VirtualBox". Because that's the only thing it must have been updated.
ovaller wrote:it asked if I wanted to update the guest addition and I selected yes
I don't recall ever being asked to update the guest additions. The only thing that happens is that you get notified about the an update about the guest additions, without a Yes/No option. You then have to start the update process more or less manually.

See the user manual, Ch. 4.2 Installing and Maintaining Guest Additions. You did not mention your guest, but it should be pretty easy to find the related chapter. Use the Help » Contents to open a searchable PDF.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ovaller

Post by ovaller »

When I updated Virtual Box it now asks you if you want to update your guest additions. I chose yes, to download and install.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox does not prompt you in this or any other past version.
Are you absolutely sure that you have the details correct?
What guest are we talking about?

Please post a screenshot. Look at the "Upload attachment" at the bottom of the form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Actually, ISTR seeing a similar prompt, which I always treat as a reminder to disable update checking so now I'm not sure.

This topic would be greatly improved if it included a screenshot of the message in question, and a statement of what the guest OS was, as the behaviour regarding the GAs may be different in each.