Trying to install Kali Linux, Gives me error message when i try to put iso as disk image

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ramamooon

Trying to install Kali Linux, Gives me error message when i try to put iso as disk image

Post by ramamooon »

I have a late 2012 mac mini as my host, running latest version of VB. i have little to no experience with VB, and i created a VM for Kali linux. I downloaded the ISO from their website, and i tried placing the file in the Disk under Controller:IDE:
and when i do, this error message pops up EVERY TIME:

Could not get the storage format of the medium '/Users/ramaking/Downloads/kali-linux-2016.2-amd64.iso' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).

Result Code:
VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80BB0005)
Component:
MediumWrap
Interface:
IMedium {4afe423b-43e0-e9d0-82e8-ceb307940dda}
Callee:
IVirtualBox {0169423f-46b4-cde9-91af-1e9d5b6cd945}
Callee RC:
VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)

IDK what to do, PLEASE help me!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Trying to install Kali Linux, Gives me error message when i try to put iso as disk image

Post by socratis »

ramamooon wrote:Could not get the storage format of the medium
I don't know exactly where you got the ISO from, but the should have a "checksum" number that you can check in your system to make sure the download is not corrupt. Because that's a message showing that something's wrong with the ISO. Download it again.
ramamooon wrote:i have little to no experience with VB
Ch. 1.7. Creating your first virtual machine from the User Manual could help you there.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.