VirtualBox 5.1.10 only runs once on El Capitan

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ewinter

VirtualBox 5.1.10 only runs once on El Capitan

Post by ewinter »

Hi all,

I've searched through the forums for an answer to this problem and come up dry. Here's the situation:

1. I am running El Capitan (OS X 10.11.6) on a 2015-model MacBook Pro.

2. I installed the following in the usual manner: VirtualBox-5.1.10-112026-OSX

3. I then Launch VirtualBox normally, run an existing virtual machine, and exit.

4. At that point, VirtualBox will not launch again. When I click on it, the VirtualBox icon on the Dock bounces like it's launching, but nothing happens.

5. I took a look at /private/var/logs/system.log, and saw this error:

Nov 22 08:58:33 nostromo com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (org.virtualbox.app.VirtualBox.302112[1358]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1

6. I repeated the installation with an admin account and observed the same behavior.

7. I repeated the installation with the previous version of the VirtualBox package and observed the same behavior.

I'm stumped at this point. I'm experienced as a Linux sysadmin, but I've only been using OS X for about 6 months. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know there are permission differences introduced by Apple with El Capitan, but I don't know if that could be a contributing factor.

Thanks
Eric Winter
Space Telescope Science Institute
ewinter

Re: VirtualBox 5.1.10 only runs once on El Capitan

Post by ewinter »

I also tried doing a console installation as root, using the "Unattended Installation" instructions from the User Manual. I observed the same behavior - when I log back in as myself after a reboot, VirtualBox runs once, then never again. I'm really puzzled at this point.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

After you run VirtualBox and quit it, do you have any vbox*, virtual*, vm* processes running? For more than two minutes?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
acehiper

Post by acehiper »

I have same issue , really puzzled now.

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

"Me too" doesn't help, especially when no one has provided any data:
  • After you run VirtualBox and quit it, do you have any vbox*, virtual*, vm* processes running? For more than two minutes? Check with the help of Activity Monitor, or the Terminal (ps -au <your_username>).
  • Post the VBoxSVC.log file from "/Users/<your_username>/Library/VirtualBox/VBoxSVC.log". Zipped, although it should be really small.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
acehiper

Post by acehiper »

After you run VirtualBox and quit it, do you have any vbox*, virtual*, vm* processes running?
- No, do not have, i check on Activity Monitor
Post the VBoxSVC.log file from "/Users/<your_username>/Library/VirtualBox/VBoxSVC.log"
- Do not have folder "VirtualBox" under Library.

Note: My Mac has VMFusion. Is it make the VirtualBox cannot run correctly ?