Error when loading ubuntu vm.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
aadaa

Error when loading ubuntu vm.

Post by aadaa »

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine MM.

VD: error VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED opening image file '/Volumes/b/Ubuntu 64-bit-1/Ubuntu 64-bit.vmdk' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).

PIIX3 cannot attach drive to the Primary Master (VERR_PDM_CFG_MISSING_DRIVER_NAME).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Hi I hope you can help me solve this, Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Error when loading ubuntu vm.

Post by socratis »

1) Where did you get the VM from? Exact location or directions to it, since you're new and can't post URLs.
2) It looks like the VMDK format used for the virtual HD is not supported. Answer #1 and we'll know.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
aadaa

Post by aadaa »

socratis wrote:1) Where did you get the VM from? Exact location or directions to it, since you're new and can't post URLs.
2) It looks like the VMDK format used for the virtual HD is not supported. Answer #1 and we'll know.
From VMWare Fusion, it was working, but this time it presented the above error.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That isn't particularly helpful, because if it's working on one program, it doesn't mean that it's going to work on another program, right out of the box. Usually you have to export the VM to make it cross-program.

Most probably the VMDK is compressed(?) or a different version(?), and you have to look at the documentation of VMWare on how to make it so that it is in a format that can be used from both programs.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
aadaa

Post by aadaa »

It was working on VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

First of all, this is not Twitter. You can use more than 140 characters to describe your problem. Otherwise nobody is going to have a clue on what you're talking about, if you do not give any details.

So, with that in mind:
  1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or paused state. Clean start.
  2. Shut down the VM (if it hasn't aborted by itself).
  3. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  4. Save it (just the first log), ZIP it and attach it in your response (see the "Upload attachment" at the bottom of the form).
On top of that, I'd like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it in your response.
And I will ask you to describe IN FULL DETAIL what you did to have that VM exported from VMWare and make it run on VirtualBox, and second, what do you think has changed from the time it was working to now. Anything that you can remember...
aadaa

Post by aadaa »

When I started the VM the first time in shown Aborted on the label of the vm in VirtualBox, I think it has crashed before hand.
The VM was working flawlessly for the last 6 months.
Im not sure how it was exported, I think I used Storage -> Add Hard Disk -> Choose Existing hard disk.

Note that is might got aborted because there was no free space on the device that contains the image when shutting it down.
Thanks.
Attachments
vbox.zip
(10 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

From the .VBOX "recipe":
<Display VRAMSize="12" monitorCount="1" accelerate3D="false" accelerate2DVideo="false"/>
That's way too small of vRAM if you want to go full screen at 1440x900.
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/piix3ide/0/LUN#0/AttachedDriver/Config/ReadOnly" value="1"/>
Where on earth did that come from? You did that? You must have, it doesn't simply "grow on trees".

Here's what you should do:
  1. Shut down the VM. Not saved state, not paused, complete shut down. If it is in a saved state, discard it.
  2. Quit VirtualBox. Wait for 1 minute, at least.
  3. Make sure that in the "Activity Monitor" there are no Virt*, VBox* or VMStart* application. If there are, reboot. You could reboot in any event, just to be safe.
  4. Open a Terminal and issue the command:
    • VBoxManage setextradata "ASM" "VBoxInternal/Devices/piix3ide/0/LUN#0/AttachedDriver/Config/ReadOnly"
See if that fixes it...
aadaa

Post by aadaa »

Thanks, It worked :), I accidentally added this configuration line. I want to thank you, It is awesome that open source projects have very professional support.