Windows 10 Fails to Start After Update

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
veyorokon

Windows 10 Fails to Start After Update

Post by veyorokon »

I just updated Windows 10 today and now I can no longer start my Windows 10 virtual machine. It gets stuck on a black screen with an underscore.

Seems like this issue happens fairly often and the solution seems to be installing a newer version of VirtualBox. I installed VirtualBox 5.1.9 and the issue persists. Is there another solution?

*Using VirtualBox 5.1.9
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 Fails to Start After Update

Post by socratis »

veyorokon wrote:Seems like this issue happens fairly often and the solution seems to be installing a newer version of VirtualBox.
a) No it's doesn't, and b) no it isn't and [citation needed].

Please read the following and act accordingly: Minimum information needed for assistance. Specifically for the VM log file ("VBox.log.zip"), here's what you do:
  1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or paused state. Clean start.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the error. Try to boot?
  3. Shut down the VM (if it hasn't aborted by itself). Not saved, not paused. Complete shut down. If you can't shut it down by normal means, close the VM window and select "Power off".
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  5. Save it (just the first log), ZIP it and attach it in your response (see the "Upload attachment" at the bottom of the form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.