"FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted." after modifyhd --resize command

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: "FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted." after modifyhd --resize command

Post by socratis »

Yes, it seemed weird to me as well, and I didn't almost quote that passage because of that, but the reference is from Ch. "1.7 Creating your first virtual machine", the last parts of step 4, page 20 in your PDF.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
elrey

Re: "FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted." after modifyhd --resize command

Post by elrey »

i have the same problem. Mac OSX Sierra with VB5.1.2 and client win7

also expand my vdi via terminal with no errors. After starting the virtualmachine with win7 i get the message "no bootable medium find".

tryed to start with iso img of windows to repair the mbr, but i get the msg that no windows version is found to reapir.

does anyone got an soulution, how i can expand the vdi file?

Got a backup from the original vdi that is still working.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If you've read the above thread then I see no need for further discussion. The resize bug was fixed in 5.1.10, so if you have a working backup then restore from it then use VBoxManage from VirtualBox 5.1.10 or later to resize the VDI.
elrey

Post by elrey »

The resize command worked now, and my osx terminal shows me the new size also virtualbox.
The Windows start is ok too, but i see no free space in the diskmngt of Windows 7, so i cant resize the disk in Windows.

Do you have any ideas what i can do?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

elrey wrote:Do you have any ideas what i can do?
Have you tried the FAQ? How to resize a Virtual Drive?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I would read the FAQ, and pay particular attention to what it says about snapshots.