[Solved] Monitor Mode with Usb WiFi (Ralink/Realtek) How To?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
shinilol

[Solved] Monitor Mode with Usb WiFi (Ralink/Realtek) How To?

Post by shinilol »

Hi there!
I did a search with my friend Google, didn't find the answer because the keywords are too weak for a real answer...

My setup
MacOS : Software OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)
VirtualBox latest version
VirtualBox OS : Kali Linux, latest version

I would like to airodump-ng on Kali.
When i plug the wifi card, it's showing up. I can put it in monitor mode. But when i am trying to airodump, nothing is showing up... ?
No networks, no data, same goes for WireShark...

Some help would be appreciate because i really can't find the answer... So far i am using another laptop when i need things like that... But it sux :)

Thanks for any reply that would help!

The answer was :
Go to VB Preferences -> Network -> Host Only Network
From there, add a network, start your vm, and it worked for me as simple as that!
Last edited by shinilol on 28. Sep 2016, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Monitor Mode - Usb WiFi (Ralink/Realtek) How To?

Post by socratis »

1. If the USB WiFi card is showing up in your guest (Kali) then the USB-capture portion is working.
  2. What is your network setup in the VM Settings? It most probably should be set to bridged.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
shinilol

Post by shinilol »

Hello Socratis, thanks for that fast answer!

Here are some screenshot... French, sorry :p

noelshack DOT com/2016-39-1474992486-capture-d-ecran-2016-09-27-a-18-07-09.png
noelshack DOT com/2016-39-1474992566-capture-d-ecran-2016-09-27-a-18-08-40.png

Sorry i can't post Images yet...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Actually I don't know what I was thinking, the network setup in your VM does not matter since you have the USB WiFi card, so that's irrelevant.

Please attach the images locally in your response (see the "Upload attachment" at the bottom of the form). Not a lot of people will go to 3rd party sites.

Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
shinilol

Post by shinilol »

Didn't know the "upload attachment" :)
Sadly i can't cuz the image are too big... But 'Noelshack' is the usual image hosting service we use ^^
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Does the USB WiFi show up in Kali? If it does, then it would be a question for the Kali forums at that point. Especially if some functions work OK and some don't. As I said, I made a mistake asking you about the VirtualBox network. You could remove it altogether and it wouldn't matter.
shinilol

Post by shinilol »

I started here, because when i am on Windows, launching Kali with VB, i don't have the problem :/
I thought maybe someone here would recognize the problem and have an idea...
I'll try on kali forum too, good idea :)

Let's hope someone can have a hint
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

shinilol wrote:I started here, because when i am on Windows, launching Kali with VB, i don't have the problem :/
Does that mean that if you're on a Windows computer and you have a Kali VM it works, while if you're in a Mac computer with the same Kali VM it does not work?
shinilol

Post by shinilol »

socratis wrote:
shinilol wrote:I started here, because when i am on Windows, launching Kali with VB, i don't have the problem :/
Does that mean that if you're on a Windows computer and you have a Kali VM it works, while if you're in a Mac computer with the same Kali VM it does not work?
Yep :) exactly my problem
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'd like to see logs and "recipes" from both your Mac and your Windows host.

Specifically for the VM log file ("VBox.log.zip"), here's what you do:
  1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or suspended state. Clean start.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the error. Record the error message. EXACTLY. Post a screenshot if you have to.
  3. Shut down the VM (if it hasn't aborted by itself). Not suspended, not paused. Shut down. If you can't shut it down by normal means, close the VM window and select "Power off".
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  5. Save it (just the first log), ZIP it and attach it in your response (see the "Upload attachment" at the bottom of the form).
On top of that, we'd like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it in your response.
shinilol

Post by shinilol »

OMG! I found the problem!!!

I went into the preferences of VB -> Network -> Host Only Network
I added a network, "vboxnet0"

And from there, everything is now smooth!!!

Anyway thank you a lot for the help socratis!
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Monitor Mode with Usb WiFi (Ralink/Realtek) How To?

Post by socratis »

That's weird, but I guess the VM was configured to have the HostOnly network and by not being enabled in the VM settings, the VM was silently(?) failing to properly configure its network. But that's me shooting in the dark.

Anyway, glad you solved it and even more glad that you actually took the time to change the topic title to "[Solved] ..."! Kudos!
newwhitehat

Post by newwhitehat »

Hi guys,sorry if i ask same stupid question but i'm new and i want learn, thanks for your helping.I still have the same problem i can't enabled monitor mode on my kali up virtualbox. please help me, because i want understand what wrong is with that! thanks so much guys!

[Mod edits;]
[ removed unreadable attachment, titled "airodump-ng mon0.png" ]
[ removed unreadable attachment, titled "airmon-ng start wlan0.png" ]
Last edited by socratis on 30. Dec 2017, 10:23, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary attachment, be more "green".
newwhitehat

Post by newwhitehat »

sorry guys i forgot..... I have windows 10 and i have adapter about TP-LINK (TL-WN722N)
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (117.15 KiB) Viewed 12725 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You shouldn't be opening a [Solved] thread, unless you have the same issue, and you didn't. You could have continued in your own thread, no?

I had to delete your screenshots from Kali, they were extremely small and unreadable. You could have simply copied/pasted the text, that's the important thing.

But the title of the attachments, also gave away your real problem. You want to pass your wireless card as Bridged into the guest. This cannot happen. You cannot see a wireless card in a guest. The only thing that you can see is a wired card.

Your only option is to ignore the network from the Virtual Machine settings, and capture a USB WiFi card. But since the USB cards cannot be shared, you will "lose" the network card from your host.