Can't run Solidwork on WIN10 virtualbox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
king100

Can't run Solidwork on WIN10 virtualbox

Post by king100 »

HI guys

Environment
Version of Virtualbox Installed (5.1.6 r110634 (Qt5.5.1)
TYPE OF THE HOST OPERATING SYSTEM ( OS X EL CAPITAN ) AND VERSION (10.11.6)
TYPE OF THE GUEST OS ( 32-BIT OPWEATING SYSTEM , X64-BASED PROCESSOR ) AND VERSION ( 1511)

PROBLEM

i am try to accomplish this >
i want to install app called ( Solidworks that is 64 bit ) on Win. 10 inside the VirtualBox but i could not make it work and i got this " SOLIDWORKS 2016 is not supported on the 32 -bit Windows 8 operating system and will not be installed. " is there a way to install this app with out purchasing a 64 bit windows 10 ?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't run Solidwork on WIN10 virtualbox

Post by socratis »

Not according to their specifications: https://files.solidworks.com/Supportfil ... lnotes.htm
I'm not sure if you can install the Windows 10 64-bit with the same license as the 32-bit. Why don't you try it?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

For info on converting Windows 10 32-bit installation to 64-bit, see: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ab312caf74 plus there are numerous Guides available via Search (Google etc.)
king100

Post by king100 »

oh sorry guys but can i make 64 bit win.10 inside the virtual machine. if yes how? do only i need to download a 64 bit ISO image of win.10 and let it run?

because as far as i remember we could not run a 64 bit machine inside the virtual box.

thnaks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

king100 wrote:as far as i remember we could not run a 64 bit machine inside the virtual box
That is not true. You can run both 32- and 64-bit guests on your Mac. Don't forget to select the appropriate OS option in the VM settings before you start the installation.
king100 wrote:do only i need to download a 64 bit ISO image of win.10 and let it run?
Yes. That's it. I re-did it again last night. https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/softwar ... ndows10ISO

Having said that, I don't think that Solidworks will ever run satisfactory in a VM. They have huge graphics requirements. So big that graphics card companies often make patches to their drivers specifically for Solidworks. So, I doubt that a virtualized graphics card, like the one used in virtualization, is going to make the cut. But it doesn't hurt to try... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.