VirtualBox selections

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Chad_Lyell

VirtualBox selections

Post by Chad_Lyell »

Hi, I am wanting to install VirtualBox onto my flashdrive but it will not give me the option to install it onto any drive that I want???
It will not let me select "Install on a specific Drive".
Please help!!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox selections

Post by socratis »

For security reasons you have to install VirtualBox in the "/Applications" folder. You can't even rename it. It will refuse to run.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Chad_Lyell

Post by Chad_Lyell »

Then why wont it even let me select this...
postimg.
org/
image/
d1h30fnz9/
Just combine all those to get the link
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Please attach the image locally in your response (see the "Upload attachment" at the bottom of the form). Not a lot of people will go to 3rd party sites.

Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Chad_Lyell

Post by Chad_Lyell »

It refuses to let me all it says is "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That's weird. I can't say I've seen that before. Anyway, I went to the site with the picture and I'll describe it for the rest of the people until this ... quota thing is resolved.

It is the "Destination" option on where to install VirtualBox and you have three options:
  • Install for all users of this computer (enabled, selected)
  • Install for me only (disabled)
  • Install on a specific disk... (disabled)
This is coming from OSX's standard installer. The only sensible thing that a developer can do is to disable the options that do not make sense. In VirtualBox's case, since it has to be installed in "/Applications/VirtualBox/", you can't install it just for you in "/Users/<username>/Applications/VirtualBox/", neither can you install it in "/Volumes/<your_specific_disk>/VirtualBox/". The only option is the one remaining and it is selected.
Chad_Lyell

Post by Chad_Lyell »

Well it is not installed on my computer at all... this is a school computer and that is why I would like to install it onto my flashdrive!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You can't. Unless you boot from your flash drive. I repeat; it has to be installed in the "/Applications/VirtualBox" folder on the root folder of the OS that boots the system. End of story.
Chad_Lyell

Post by Chad_Lyell »

socratis wrote:You can't. Unless you boot from your flash drive. I repeat; it has to be installed in the "/Applications/VirtualBox" folder on the root folder of the OS that boots the system. End of story.
Thanks!