VirtualBox and Fusion co-existance on Sierra

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
cannfoddr

VirtualBox and Fusion co-existance on Sierra

Post by cannfoddr »

After running VB and VMWare Fusion side by side on 10.11 it now seems that co-existence is broken with 10.12 - one whiff of VB on a working Fusion install and Fusion stops working. I have raised the issue with VMWare support.

Thought I would ask here to see if anyone can shed any light?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox and Fusion co-existance on Sierra

Post by socratis »

Can you be a little bit more detailed in your report? Does a "whiff" include running a VM or not? Does it mean running in parallel? Do you stop VirtualBox? How long afterwards do you try to start Fusion? Exact details please.

And if there is any specific message that Fusion produces, like no VT-x is available or anything, please state it as well. Not that we're knowledgeable about Fusion, but it may shed some light about a hanged VirtualBox process, background or not.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: VirtualBox and Fusion co-existance on Sierra

Post by loukingjr »

FWIW, El Capitan guest in Fusion and Windows 10 guest in VirtualBox running on macOS Sierra.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 11.07.36 AM.jpeg
Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 11.07.36 AM.jpeg (38.82 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.