Latest Virtualbox does not install on Sierra macOS 10.12

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Kayvan

Latest Virtualbox does not install on Sierra macOS 10.12

Post by Kayvan »

VirtualBox 5.1.6 is not installing on my Mac Book Pro. Does this work for anyone else running the latest released macOS 10.12?

Code: Select all

$ brew cask install --verbose virtualbox 
==> Downloading http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.1.6/VirtualBox-5.1.6-110634-OSX.dmg
Already downloaded: /Users/ksylvan/Library/Caches/Homebrew/Cask/virtualbox--5.1.6-110634.dmg
==> Verifying checksum for Cask virtualbox
==> Running installer for virtualbox; your password may be necessary.
==> Package installers may write to any location; options such as --appdir are ignored.
==> installer: Package name is Oracle VM VirtualBox
==> installer: Installing at base path /
==> installer:PHASE:Preparing for installation…
==> installer:PHASE:Preparing the disk…
==> installer:PHASE:Preparing Oracle VM VirtualBox…
==> installer:PHASE:Waiting for other installations to complete…
==> installer:PHASE:Configuring the installation…
==> installer:STATUS:
==> installer:%15.483904
==> installer:PHASE:Writing files…
==> installer:%46.344920
==> installer:PHASE:Optimizing system for installed software…
==> installer:%85.994668
==> installer:PHASE:Running package scripts…
==> installer:PHASE:Validating packages…
==> installer:%97.750000
==> installer: The install failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)
Error: Command failed to execute!

==> Failed command:
["/usr/bin/sudo", "-E", "--", "/usr/sbin/installer", "-pkg", "#<Pathname:/usr/local/Caskroom/virtualbox/5.1.6-110634/VirtualBox.pkg>", "-target", "/", "-verboseR"]

==> Standard Output of failed command:
installer: Package name is Oracle VM VirtualBox
installer: Installing at base path /
installer:PHASE:Preparing for installation…
installer:PHASE:Preparing the disk…
installer:PHASE:Preparing Oracle VM VirtualBox…
installer:PHASE:Waiting for other installations to complete…
installer:PHASE:Configuring the installation…
installer:STATUS:
installer:%15.483904
installer:PHASE:Writing files…
installer:%46.344920
installer:PHASE:Optimizing system for installed software…
installer:%85.994668
installer:PHASE:Running package scripts…
installer:PHASE:Validating packages…
installer:%97.750000
installer: The install failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)

==> Standard Error of failed command:

==> Exit status of failed command:
#<Process::Status: pid 76881 exit 1>
Error: Kernel.exit
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Latest Virtualbox does not install on Sierra macOS 10.12

Post by socratis »

Can you please try with the official installation from VirtualBox and not 'brew'? I just installed VirtualBox 5.1.6 on a 10.12 VM with no problems.

Start the installation. Before you proceed, go to Window, Installer Log (⌘-L). From the drop-down choose 'Show All Logs'. Proceed with the installation. When the 'Installation Failed' message appears, switch to the log window and either 1) Select all (⌘-A), copy them, paste them in TextEdit, save it, or 2) Simply save it. ZIP the saved log and attach it here.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Fastidious

Post by Fastidious »

Adding to this a little bit more. Yes, it installs and runs under macOS Sierra. Yet, start headless and star detachable are broken (in both, the option to remain running headless on main window close isn't available). Trying new releases and pre-releases to see if there is any difference.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Fastidious wrote:start headless and star detachable are broken (in both, the option to remain running headless on main window close isn't available).
You're looking at the wrong place. There is an option "Detach GUI" under the Machine menu. The logic behind the decision can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=78516
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Fastidious

Post by Fastidious »

socratis wrote:You're looking at the wrong place. There is an option "Detach GUI" under the Machine menu. The logic behind the decision can be found here: [can't post URLs, I am a newbie]
Indeed. It would be nice if the VirtualBox gods would add that one to the options given when trying to close a VM (Save Machine State, Send the shutdown..., Leave on Headless Mode [or something along the lines]). It would make lots of sense.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You didn't actually read the linked thread, did you?
Fastidious

Post by Fastidious »

socratis wrote:You didn't actually read the linked thread, did you?
I did. I still think the way it was before was better (I remember seeing the option on the menu I referred to). Either way, it is done, one voice can't change things. The way it is now is different, but the same can be accomplished.

Thanks, Socratus!
PeterNosko
Guest OSses: Win7-64

Post by PeterNosko »

socratis wrote:I just installed VirtualBox 5.1.6 on a 10.12 VM with no problems.
The only OS X host downloads for 5.1.6 say amd64, unlike all prior 5.1.x versions which say Intel Macs. Where do you find 5.1.6 for Intel Macs?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm afraid it's been discontinued :( Apple will soon be switching to PowerPC for all of its products, so get ready for VirtualBox PPC!!!

Nah, I'm kidding :D. AMD was the one that created the specification for the 64-bit processors and it's often used when referring to 64-bit programs. From Wikipedia's article on x86-64:
Wikipedia wrote:The original specification, created by AMD and released in 2000, has been implemented by AMD, Intel and VIA. Various names are used for the instruction set; prior to the launch, x86-64 and x86_64 were used, while upon the release AMD named it AMD64.
Pretty much it says it's the same thing. Go ahead and download it. That's the one you are looking for...
PeterNosko

Post by PeterNosko »

socratis wrote:Pretty much it says it's the same thing. Go ahead and download it. That's the one you are looking for...
Thanks. It didn't make sense to begin with.

I'm on El Capitan running 5.0.22. I want to be on Sierra and whatever Virtualbox is compatible. Do you suggest I install 5.1.6 first, then upgrade to Sierra? Virtualbox is the only thing that concerns me about upgrading OS X. I'm a developer and need my Windows and Linux VMs.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Do you have to upgrade to Sierra? I'm saying because I'm on 10.9.5 myself and honestly I have zero reasons to upgrade. If it ain't broken, don't fix it. On the other hand, you could always use an external drive (or make it internal if you want) and try it out...
PeterNosko

Post by PeterNosko »

socratis wrote:Do you have to upgrade to Sierra? I'm saying because I'm on 10.9.5 myself and honestly I have zero reasons to upgrade.
socratis, I truly appreciate your replies and assistance with my questions. Please believe that. But your last question is one that just shouldn't be asked on any support forum. Ask it of someone you know personally that is asking your advice. But for the random netizen seeking support, there are far too many variables involved. And many times, like this time, the answer will be "I simply want the new features" and that is without question more than enough justification. :)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

PeterNosko wrote:your last question is one that just shouldn't be asked on any support forum.
I don't agree. Sometimes you have to address "the elephant in the room". I have a personal rule that I must address the specific question asked first, whenever possible: and AFAICS there has already been plenty of specific input from Socratis, so he was entitled to make a point of his own in return (in the #10th post).

And btw, this is emphatically not a support forum. Only people who buy an Oracle support contract have any right to support. This is a user discussion forum. Everyone here is users, we don't work for Oracle unless the legend to the right says so.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

PeterNosko, I'm afraid you took one part of my reply slightly out of context. The "do you have to upgrade" was coupled with "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" and were targeted as a reply to "need my Windows and Linux VMs". That's all. Now take that and pair it with "I simply want the new features" and my advice would still be the same:
socratis wrote:you could always use an external drive (or make it internal if you want) and try it out...
PeterNosko

Post by PeterNosko »

socratis wrote:PeterNosko, I'm afraid you took one part of my reply slightly out of context.
Granted.

FYI, I upgraded to macOS 10.12 and all seems well with my VMs in Virtualbox 5.1.6. I did lose functionality of my Zoom USB fax modem (model 3095) in Sierra, but was able to configure the modem in my Windows 7-64 Pro VM (hence, my mentioning this) while I work with Apple for a solution.