Latest Virtualbox does not install on Sierra macOS 10.12

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
davidcmc
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 64bits

Re: Latest Virtualbox does not install on Sierra macOS 10.12

Post by davidcmc »

According to the User Manual, it seems that VirtualBox is not compatible with macOS 10.12 Sierra.

I was expecting that today 5.1.8 version release would officially add Sierra support.
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Maybe they forgot to update the documentation? It could be something as simple as that...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
davidcmc

Post by davidcmc »

socratis wrote:Maybe they forgot to update the documentation? It could be something as simple as that...
Usually, they include the official support on the release notes of an specific version, like this one for Mavericks.

There's no Sierra support included in the release notes of 5.1 and 5.0.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

davidcmc wrote: Usually, they include the official support on the release notes of an specific version, like this one for Mavericks.
There's no Sierra support included in the release notes of 5.1 and 5.0.
No they don't usually include it, because there is no mention about 10.11 or 10.10 and 10.9 is still experimental, according to the changelog.

The most imprtant question is: is this about a lack in documentation or do you have an actual problem with 10.12 and VirtualBox?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Windows 10 was not listed as officially supported until well after Windows 10 was released. The devs seem to wait until they are confident that the majority of bugs have been exposed before claiming support in the docs. And bear in mind that "supported" doesn't mean us, it means to paying customers who would expect action if it broke.
davidcmc

Post by davidcmc »

mpack wrote:Windows 10 was not listed as officially supported until well after Windows 10 was released. The devs seem to wait until they are confident that the majority of bugs have been exposed before claiming support in the docs. And bear in mind that "supported" doesn't mean us, it means to paying customers who would expect action if it broke.
Ok.
socratis wrote:[No they don't usually include it, because there is no mention about 10.11 or 10.10 and 10.9 is still experimental, according to the changelog.

The most imprtant question is: is this about a lack in documentation or do you have an actual problem with 10.12 and VirtualBox?
I haven't tried it yet.

Anyway, I think by "experimental" support you mean the "Mac OS X hosts: limited support for Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)" present in 4.3 changelog.

Curiously, the 4.2 changelog shows "Mac OS X hosts: support for Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)", without the "limited" part.