MacOS Change of Memory (Black Screen?)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
themagmaman

MacOS Change of Memory (Black Screen?)

Post by themagmaman »

I have created both a 10.11 and a recently released 10.12 VM using VB. I am creating these on a Mac as well. (Mac VM, Mac hardware)

Anyway to the point, I cannot seem to change the memory amount from anything other than 2048mb. I have tried 4, 6, and 8gb, so far, no go. After I change the memory and start up the VM, I am presented with a black screen where the VM should be. If I close it and go back to settings and change the memory back to 2gb, it loads up just fine.

Any thoughts on this? Would be nice to have more than 2gb of memory.

Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: MacOS Change of Memory (Black Screen?)

Post by socratis »

Of course you can create a VM with more than 2GB. So, I'd like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it in your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
themagmaman

Post by themagmaman »

See attached
Attachments
ETADS Release Update.zip
(1.46 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

There are several things that do not add up. Did you create this VM yourself or did you get it from somewhere else? And this file that you attached, was it the 10.11 or the 10.12?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
themagmaman

Post by themagmaman »

Created the VM myself using 10.12 gold master. However, I had this exact same issue with 10.11 a few months ago, and just dealt with it.

Like I said, it's strange. Only wants to work with 2gb.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

OK then, please do me a favor.
• Set the memory to 2GB. Start the VM, wait for a couple of minutes, shut it down. Grab the log.
• Set the memory to 3GB. Start the VM, wait for a couple of minutes, shut it down. Grab the log.
Attach both logs.
themagmaman

Post by themagmaman »

Thanks for helping with this, I really appreciate it. Here is the 2 GB log, a 3GB log, and a 4GB log.

Oddly enough, it worked with 3GB. It, however, doesn't seem to want to work with anything above 4GB.
Attachments
3GB log.zip
(25.25 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
4GB log.zip
(226.1 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
2GB log.zip
(24.72 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I don't know why I missed it the first time, but try to change the "Version" guest type to "Mac OS X 10.11 (64 bit)" from the more generic "Mac OS X (64-bit)". VM Settings, General, Basic, Version.
themagmaman

Post by themagmaman »

No luck :(
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Damn, I'm not functional today... VRAM from 16 to 128.
themagmaman

Post by themagmaman »

That seems to have been the problem! Awesome thank you so much!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Finally! I should have spotted it from the beginning, but hey...