CD Rom Passthrough

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
PinoBartali96

CD Rom Passthrough

Post by PinoBartali96 »

Hello there!

I have been trying to play some video games on my Windows 7 32 bit Virtual Machine without any success. I run those Cd ROMs form an external DVD reader/writer, but when I plug it in Windows tells me to insert a CD. Why doesn't it recognise my CDs? What should I do?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: CD Rom Passthrough

Post by mpack »

Is the host CD drive selected in the VM?

Please don't leave us guessing for important information.
PinoBartali96

Post by PinoBartali96 »

Oh sorry mpack!

Yes it is!!
PinoBartali96

Post by PinoBartali96 »

Any other important information I should tell you guys?
PinoBartali96

Post by PinoBartali96 »

So basically I set my DVD reader as secondary master, but when I plug it I get the following error:

Failed to attach the USB device Hitachi-LG Data Storage Inc Portable Super Multi Drive to the virtual machine W7SP164bit.

Failed to create a proxy device for the USB device. (Error: VERR_OUT_OF_RESOURCES).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Ah. You didn't mention that it was a USB device, though now that I notice it's an OS X host, I should have known.

Are you actually trying to access the CD drive as a USB device rather than a CD? I ask because I didn't think VirtualBox recognizes it as a CD when you do that, it thinks the drive is USB mass storage (writable, simulated hdd, not expecting an ISO filesystem).

Why not try imaging the CD to an ISO and mount that instead? It may not work, as game CDs are sometimes copy protected.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

PinoBartali96 wrote:external DVD reader/writer
Does it appear as a CD or a USB device? I think it's a USB device and will be a USB device when passed in the guest, not a CD. I could be wrong though.
PinoBartali96 wrote:Failed to create a proxy device for the USB device
Is it a USB2 or a USB3 device? Is it a USB2 or USB3 port? Have you enabled USB2 or USB3 in the VM settings? Pretty much what I'm trying to say is to eliminate any potential mismatches that you are having in the end-to-end configuration.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
PinoBartali96

Post by PinoBartali96 »

It appears as a USB device. It is a USB 2.0, 3.0 compatible. My Mac has 3.0 USB ports!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

PinoBartali96 wrote:It appears as a USB device.
So you can forget about those games. When Windows or the game asks for a CD, they mean an actual hardware CD. Especially the game.
PinoBartali96 wrote:It is a USB 2.0, 3.0 compatible. My Mac has 3.0 USB ports!
This was more about the error that you're facing. You didn't mention what settings you have for the VM. You didn't mention if you have set a filter for the specific device. Can you answer these two before we start looking at the logs?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
PinoBartali96

Post by PinoBartali96 »

What do you mean by 'I can forget about those games'? Is it impossible to find a solution?
I can't copy those games because they are protected!

My settings for that VM are the following:

Windows 7 SP1 32 bit
Controller IDE Secondary Master: empty
USB controller: OHCI
Device filter 1: 1 active
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

PinoBartali96 wrote:What do you mean by 'I can forget about those games'? Is it impossible to find a solution?
Chances are that the developers were looking for an IDE CD, not a USB one. What you could do (with no guarantees) is to make an ISO out of the CD. Then add that ISO to the CD drive of your guest. It should theoretically look like you've inserted the CD in the built-in CD of the guest.
PinoBartali96

Post by PinoBartali96 »

The fact is that it is copy protected! I am trying to use Toast Roxio right now, any suggestions ?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Get a computer with a build-in CD. Or, you could contact the software developer and explain them your situation. Otherwise I don't know how to bypass copy protection.