USB Wifi stops working (#15927)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: USB Wifi stops working

Post by Perryg »

Code: Select all

NIC 1:           MAC: 080027549D11, Attachment: NAT, Cable connected: on, Trace: off (file: none), Type: 82540EM, Reported speed: 0 Mbps, Boot priority: 0, Promisc Policy: deny, Bandwidth group: none
This shows you are using the VBox network stack over wifi and while it should work sometimes there are issues. Since you said that this is a USB dongle why not disable the VBox network and instead mount the USB device in the guest and let the guest use it direct or is this the only connection you have for the host as well?
Briantb

Post by Briantb »

Perryg wrote:

Code: Select all

NIC 1:           MAC: 080027549D11, Attachment: NAT, Cable connected: on, Trace: off (file: none), Type: 82540EM, Reported speed: 0 Mbps, Boot priority: 0, Promisc Policy: deny, Bandwidth group: none
This shows you are using the VBox network stack over wifi and while it should work sometimes there are issues. Since you said that this is a USB dongle why not disable the VBox network and instead mount the USB device in the guest and let the guest use it direct or is this the only connection you have for the host as well?
Its true that I have the host->guest network sharing going (though I have tested with it disabled without success), but I am trying to mount and use the dongle on the guest VM. The dongle has no Mac drivers, so that is my only option.

If it would help, I can disable network driver in the VM config, boot, attempt to use the wifi dongle and provide a log that has JUST that.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Yes I would disable the VBox network adapter and see what happens. There could be a conflict. Make sure that you have the latest linux-firmware installed on the guest too.
Briantb

Post by Briantb »

Perryg wrote:Yes I would disable the VBox network adapter and see what happens. There could be a conflict. Make sure that you have the latest linux-firmware installed on the guest too.
Thanks again. I made sure Ubuntu was 100% up to date, shut it down, disabled networking, booted it back up, confirmed network network drop, shutdown.
networkdrop.png
networkdrop.png (50.37 KiB) Viewed 3679 times
Attachments
ubutest-no-network.log.zip
(22.49 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

up-to-date is not the same. Some times you need to actually install the firmware. sudp apt-get install linux-firmware. Then you need to mount the USB device for it to be available in the guest. You can run lsusb in the guest terminal to see if it is shown and also lspci to see if the adapter shows there.
Briantb

Post by Briantb »

Perryg wrote:up-to-date is not the same. Some times you need to actually install the firmware. sudp apt-get install linux-firmware. Then you need to mount the USB device for it to be available in the guest. You can run lsusb in the guest terminal to see if it is shown and also lspci to see if the adapter shows there.
So, booted with network, verified firmware was up to date:
Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 1.42.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 1.42.05 PM.png (108.06 KiB) Viewed 3678 times
Shut down, disabled network, booted again, ran lsusb to show no wifi on usb, plugged it in, ran lsusb again to show it was connected, connected to wifi ( it asks for wifi pw, briefly connects, then disconnects), then after it disconnected, I ran lsusb again to show its still connected.
Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 1.48.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 1.48.45 PM.png (126.54 KiB) Viewed 3678 times
I can keep trying to connect, but it just keeps failing to establish and/or maintain a connection.

Again, the dongle works perfectly when I boot natively into ubuntu, same version, same OS freshness.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I don't know what else to tell you. It works solid for me but I don't use a Mac so that may have something to do with it I guess. Maybe someone that does this on a Mac can help further.
Briantb

Post by Briantb »

Perryg wrote: It works solid for me
You have had success using a usb wifi dongle purely within a guest vm? (Just not using a Mac as the Host)
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Yes. Windows and Linux guests, but I only use Linux as host.
Briantb

Post by Briantb »

I'm pretty sure no one cares, but incase anyone else is having the same problem, after upgrading to Virtual Box 5.1.6 (and accompanying Expansion pack and Guest Additions), I'm still having the same problem using my USB wifi dongle. Same exact symptoms as before.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

It's not that no one cares it is just that I and most do not have this issue. You should post a ticket at bugtracker and let the DEVs have a look.
Briantb

Post by Briantb »

ah-hah. Cool. Posted.

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15927

*fingers crossed*