Screen Resolution problems

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Mateo323

Screen Resolution problems

Post by Mateo323 »

Hi,
I am using VirtualBox 5 host on Mac OS X 10.11.6. I am running a windows 10 64 bit and I cannot seem to get the screen to run in full resolution on my Asus external monitor. My Asus monitor is 21.5 inches (1920 x 1080) and my windows 10 is only able to go up to 1280 x 720. I have installed the guest additions and have enabled 3D acceleration and 2d video acceleration. The attachment is what the VM looks like in fullscreen mode. The black is the rest of the space that the screen is not taking up. I am able to use a scale factor of 150% to get to full screen, but that is not a good resolution. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 7.20.51 PM-min.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 7.20.51 PM-min.jpg (88.63 KiB) Viewed 4226 times
agodfrin
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WinXP, Linux,Win7

Re: Screen Resolution problems

Post by agodfrin »

I see the same problem with a Linux VM. The issue definitely is with the guest additions.

I was using 5.0.20. I upgraded to 5.1.4. I booted the VM and got the full screen as usual. Then I installed the 5.1.4 guest additions, rebooted the VM. Now the VM only uses part of the screen, with unused black sections all around. Luckily I had kept the base snapshot, so all I needed to do is just revert to that (which has the 5.0.20 guest additions) and I the VM now uses the full screen as expected.

Albert
agodfrin

Post by agodfrin »

I just upgraded to the current latest VBOX version (5.1.12 r112440). No problem,

Then I upgraded the guest additions to the same version. Again, full screen no longer works as expecteded: the full screen does not occupy the whole screen.

Restored the VM to its previous snapshot that has guest additions 5.0.20. Now full screen works fine again.

Just logged a ticket for this problem: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/16347
agodfrin

Post by agodfrin »

Upgraded to vbox 5.1.16, also guest additions. Same problem: I don't get full screen use.

Reverted back to guest additions 5.0.20
agodfrin

Post by agodfrin »

I have been upgrading Vbox through to all versions as they come out. I am now on 5.1.26.

I have been also upgrading the guest additions with each version, including 5.1.26. Each of them breaks the full screen mechanism.
Every time I had to revert back to guest additions 5.0.20. That is the only one that gives me the proper support for full screen.
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I do not have that problem, and I have two external monitors; one Thunderbolt, one HDMI. I haven't seen a VBox.log.zip, so please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
agodfrin

Post by agodfrin »

I have attached the logs to the ticket I logged (https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/16347). There are two logs: one for the case where full screen works (using the old extensions), one where full screen does not (using the current extensions).
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

These logs are ancient. I want you to update to 5.2.12 (GAs included) and try again. Then post a VBox.log (ZIPPED) from a complete start-from-cold, login, shutdown-from-within-the-guest run.

On top of that, the ZIPPED ".vbox" for the VM, and the "VirtualBox.xml" from your "/Users/you/Library/VirtualBox" (you guessed it... ZIPPED ;)).

Oh, and post them here, you have a lot more chances that they're going to get looked at by a volunteer rather than a developer; not for a non-reproducible issue...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.