VirtualBox crashes after error in MS SQL Server

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
krisgtr

VirtualBox crashes after error in MS SQL Server

Post by krisgtr »

Hello All,

I hope that this is the correct place for this topic.
I have installed VirtualBox (5.1.4 with all the updates) on my iMac computer (OS X El Capitan with all the updates) and inside the VirtualBox I have setup a virtual machine running Windows 8.1 (+ Visual Studio 2015 / MS SQL Server 2012).

While performing some random action in MS SQL Server Management Studio (for example deleting a table, trying to change a record) which ends up with a popup window containing error description, the VirtualBox automatically closes and I have to run it again.

What can I provide for you to help me solve this weird issue or maybe even a bug?

Thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox crashes after error in MS SQL Server

Post by socratis »

krisgtr wrote:What can I provide for you to help me solve this weird issue or maybe even a bug?
First of all a reproducible scenario. You mentioned that "sometimes" it crashes. If you can narrow it down to a "definitely", it would be a great start.

Second, your VBox.log could tell us a lot of things. Maybe even before having the reproducible scenario:
  1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or suspended state. Clean start.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the error. You mentioned that the VM crashes, right?
  3. After the crash, right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  4. Save it (just the first log), ZIP it and attach it in your response (see the "Upload attachment" at the bottom of the form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Alan Birtles

Re: VirtualBox crashes after error in MS SQL Server

Post by Alan Birtles »

does the error dialog play a sound? If so its probably this issue: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15602